Soft top question? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-05-2001, 02:40 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Soft top question?

My soft top has developed a spot where the rain soaks through, Any suggestions?

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]http://members.home.net/paul5696[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-05-2001, 02:51 AM
Wrangler88

Re: Soft top question?

hum.. well maybe you could try that stuff u spray on shoes to keep them water proof i'm not sure of the name but u can buy it at most shoe stores and it works pretty good i'd think.. don't really know, when that happened to me i just bought a new top, but i really needed one...hope this helps

(\/)ikey
1988 Wrangler Laredo 4.2L w/5spd Manual
1995 Wrangler 2.5L w/ 5spd / 31"BFG AT's
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-05-2001, 03:03 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

The top is not that old is only a coupl of years old. I'll look in to that stuff you mentioned I think I know the stuff you mean I can't think of the name of it myself

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]http://members.home.net/paul5696[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-05-2001, 05:11 AM
Way Outta Control

Old campers trick.... drip a little candle wax on the spot.

LEVE
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-05-2001, 10:13 AM
Keyboard Implanted

"Scotch Gaurd" by 3M is the name of the stuff I'm thinking of. Otherwise something like a generic "Camp Dry" for canvas tents should work fine. Just spray some on an inconspicuous area first to make sure it doesent bleed the color of the top.

LEVE, would you leave the candle wax on? Or would you peel off the thick stuff and just leave a residue? Interesting idea![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

Mike H.
1983 CJ-7 Laredo, It's a roller with drivetrain now!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-05-2001, 01:23 PM
Way Outta Control

I work the wax into the fabric and leave as little on the surface as possible. It does catch dirt and dust and can add to the problem as the debris cut the fabirc. As to the other chemicals mentioned above... their all good, but usally must be used on a newer item or they can't protect well. But at about $3 a can... it's worth a shot. It's also worth doing it once a year as a preventative precaution. Hummm... now why am I remembering "Mink Oil?"

LEVE
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-06-2001, 11:45 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Also She see's alot of mud[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]what is the best way to get it clean? I've wash but i get mud left. has anyone used a presure washer on there top> will this damage the top, maybe i can use a lower presure.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-06-2001, 02:02 PM
Keyboard Implanted

My soft top only sees use in the summer but it does see a pressure washer. When the stains from the mud get to be more then i can handle. I take it to the car wash and spray there tire cleaner on it. It is this green stuff. Once i get the whole top sprayed with it. I let it sit about 30 seconds then rinse. I used this lighting stuff once and that seemed to work also. Good luck.

80 cj7, 304, auto, 33" tsl swampers, 4" softride superlift, warn bellvue winch, custom front winch bumper
post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-06-2001, 02:30 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Use some "Snow Seal", it is a beeswax protectant for shoes(available here http://www.campmor.com).

Mink Oil and other amimal oil/fat based protectants actually do more damage than good(this also applies to saddle soap). The oils in them break down the fibers in leather and canvas. Now this isn't a bad thing to happen when you are trying to break in a pair of stiff boots, but after you get them broken in just use the snow seal. The bees wax will not break down the fabric in your soft top. All the above will attract some dirt. Also don't just do one spot because it will be darker than the rest.

Look into some silicon based products as well. They will be more expensive, but won't attract dirt as much. Try to find one that has a UV protectant added to it and you will be good to go for a while. Keep a watch on it and as soon as water doesn't bead anymore apply again (at least once every six months).

Jason

<font color=green>----------------</font color=green>
<font color=green>[]llll[] '90 YJ</font color=green>
<font color=green>"There are no shortcuts to any place worth going."-Anon.</font color=green>
post #10 of (permalink) Old 03-07-2001, 02:51 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks all this is all good info If it weren't for this board I would probly have sold this jeep due to it's problems. Thanks again all

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode