Simple ? about AMC 360 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-05-2001, 01:23 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Simple ? about AMC 360

Simple question that I'm sure has been hashed before. More like a stupid question. Today while finding myself tangled in the mass of vacuum lines on my 83 CJ7, my wife's friend and her husband stop by. He tells me that he has an AMC 360 in his garage that he rebuilt for his son, but that his son wrecked the wagoneer before it got dropped in.

Anyhow, he said he would sell it to me for $300 just to get it out of his garage. I've owned a few Jeeps now, but I am soaking wet behind the ears, so bear with me. Does the 360 bolt right up to the trans and motor mounts in my Jeep with the 258? I'm sure there is a heck of a lot to consider and things I haven't even thought about. Any input on things I should look into before I decide to do this would be appreciated.

Thanks

Bent

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-05-2001, 01:35 AM
Wrangler88

Re: Simple ? about AMC 360

hell for $300 bucks and its rebuild, buy it for a paper weight, u could at least sell it more than $300 bucks, even if u decide u don't want it... i'm sure someone on this BBS would buy it, or keep it, if u blow the 258 one day throw in the 360...

(\/)ikey
1988 Wrangler Laredo 4.2L w/5spd Manual
1995 Wrangler 2.5L w/ 5spd / 31"BFG AT's
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-05-2001, 07:19 AM

Bentmetal,

its the easiest V8 swap you could imagine, youll need a differnt engine mount on one side ( the part that bolts to the frame)
a different flywheel ( $250 new, cheaper used but hard to find)

the radiator will work if you have the large 6 cyl unit, if it has AC youve got the big one.

BUT, if your tranny isnt a t176 it wont last long.

t176 4 speed, and the shifter stick is straight no bends.

buy it anyway, thats cheap for a fresh complete 360, where are you? Ill buy it!

OzarkJeep

"If thats the way that you want it, well thats the way I want it more..."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-05-2001, 08:03 AM

I have a 360 flywheel that's been resurfaced and has a new ring gear. I'll make you a deal if you want it.
The swap is not difficult, and is WELL worh the trouble.
One thing not mentioned is you need to run a new fuel line from the tank, as the 360 fuel pump is on the other side of the engine than the 258.

'86 CJ-7, 360, 727, OEM Dana 44 rear w/Truetrac, Dana 30 w/Powertrax No-Slip, 4" Superlift, 4:11s, Warn HS9500i
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-05-2001, 09:12 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I am in the middle of the 360 swap as we speak. I do not have the resources to drop the engine in so I am having my mechanic do it. So far this is what you will need..
*motor mounts specific for this swap $200 new
*new belts and hoses $30
*new gas tank if you only have the 10 gallon tank $400 for everything new
*manual/auto flywheel specific for that engine $250 new
*3 or 4 core radiator $200
*wires $50
*exhaust system including manifold back.. $400-$600 for just the parts
*As Bill said you will need to reroute the fuel line which will most probably require a new line.
*pilot bushing for T-176 to 360... $20
Misc items might include a new carburetor $250, intake manifold $250, distributor $depends

That is all I can think of for now. I wish someone laid it out for me before I did my swap so I knew how much money I would be in for. Good luck if you decide to go ahead with it. If not and if you don't mind I need a rebuilt 360 just in case my motor goes.
Best of luck,
jesse

post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-05-2001, 11:04 AM
Addict

To take a look at some previously posted 360 swap info click on the URL below:

http://bbs.off-road.com/wwwthreads//...collapsed&sb=5

'86 CJ7/AMC 360/TR Ignition/T999/D300/OEM D44 rear...[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-05-2001, 01:24 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I think magoo was trying to give you a worst case scenario.
Frame motor mounts (you only need the passenger side) are about $26 brand new. $200 will get you M.O.R.E. bombproof mounts.
If it is going in front of a manual your flywheel will be $250 brand new. Flex plates for autos are much cheaper and easy to find used.
I bought a brand new stock replacement 3 core rad shipped to my door for $120.
I put in a 20 gal poly tank for less than $100
My exhaust was done by a shop for less than $200.
Carb and intake from summit as a package was less than $400 if I remeber right. That was a birthday present from my wife so not sure on the price. If the guy rebuilt the carb there maybe no need.
Just another take on it.

K-16
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-05-2001, 06:53 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Bent-

Any emission issues in your neck of the woods? Remember, if the donor motor is older than your vehicle it may be a "no go" if you have to pass inspection. If not, buy it now if it is what he says it is. You will be happy with what you get!

Good Luck!
Kriss

post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-05-2001, 09:14 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks for the information, it is truly appreciated. I went by after work tonite and looked at the engine. It's basically a long block all the tin and he has an intake for it. I think I've conned the wife into letting me pick it up.

Unfortunately I do suffer from a county that requires emissions, but the bright side is no inspection other than checking for a gas cap and cats somewhere along the exhaust system or at least that's all they've done before. I'll have to seriously check into it before making the final decision on whether to do the swap or not. If it's something that I can't do because emissions, time and money, I'll put it up for sale here so someone more capable can have a crack at it. For now though, if I get it, I'll sit on it for a while until I can compile the parts inventory and do the swap right.

Here's the run down on the rest of the Jeep. It's an 83 CJ7 Renegade, 258 I6 w/AC, I added power steering and my uncle (original owner) put in a 20 gal fuel tank and that's about it. I'm the second owner and it's been in the family since new. Right now, 87000 original and starting to have some trouble... blowby causing the typical oil coming out of the PCV vent, and recently replaced the stock carb with a weber. Not sure how to tell which tranny and xcase I have though. The books say it is a T176 and Dana 300. Ozark said the stick would be strait with no bends. My stick is curved and the xcase shifter is strait. Jeeper2's post with the link said that T176 wouldn't last long with a V8. So, do I have a T176 and will it work alright if I drop the 360 in?

Thanks again.

Bent

post #10 of (permalink) Old 03-05-2001, 09:35 PM

if the stick is curved its NOT a t176 according to what ive read and been told.

the T176 WILL hold to a 360, Full sized Jeep trucks used them, as long as you arent gonzo, its the strongest tranny offered in those years.

BUT if you have a curved stick thats a probably an sr4.

better plan on a trans swap too, or pass on the engine, or maybe buy and resell, itll cost ALOT, and be really involved to swap engine and tranny. thats the best option but $$$ and dowtime might make it prohibitive.

OzarkJeep

"If thats the way that you want it, well thats the way I want it more..."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode