still can't get pitman arm off!!!!!!!!! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-04-2001, 07:34 PM
sas87yj

still can\'t get pitman arm off!!!!!!!!!

doing an RE 4.5" lift and tried hitting the puller bolt w/ BFH but no budge even a fraction. put some heat to it and still no budge. also been liquid wrenching to the max. this jeep has been notorious for rusted bolts. don't know what next plan could be. any suggestions?
thanks,steve

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-04-2001, 07:43 PM

Re: still can\'t get pitman arm off!!!!!!!!!

Steve are you using a pitman arm puller?? Try taking the puller off and use a second BFH to lay against the pitman arm as a back up and then hit the arm a good solid blow on the side,, make sure you back it up with the other hammer so you don't bend or otherwise mangle the gearbox. You may have to do this a few times then put the puller back on. You DO NOT want to drive up on the shaft of the gearbox in any way with the hammer you can mess the gearbox up.. Not sure that heat is a good idea because of the seal. hope this helps
GP'n

post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-04-2001, 07:50 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Just had the same problem pulling one off a 83 CJ7 that had been there since 83. Iused a puller, heat and two very large pry bars at once, themn all of a sudden it poped off. As long as you don't get too much heat on the seal above it.

Good Luck!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-04-2001, 07:53 PM
sas87yj

gpn
yes i have a good quality USA puller. dirtdog suggested hitting up hard on the puller bolt and tightening puller if gained anything and repeating. a couple other guys suggested heat although dirtdog questioned the heat. i have tried both. that bitch is on there! t have tackeled all kinds of rusted bolt probs on this lift past two days but the pitman arm is winnig the war! i will try your sugestion gpn. lets go wheeling! i can't wait to try this lift out someday!thanks,steve

post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-04-2001, 07:57 PM
sas87yj

mike
i have a little propane torch. i was just heating the portion of the arm at the splined shaft. don't know if i got it hot enough though-kind of paranoid of wrecking the steering box. bet they are expensive. you didn't use a puller-just pry bars? the puller fits good and i can crank on it w/ 1/2" drive and cheater pipe but the sucker is froze solid!two large prybars-isn't leverage a wonderful thing?
steve

post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-04-2001, 09:29 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Heat works well but you do have to be careful. I had some wet rags to run back and forth on the shaft to keep from melting the seal. Worked good, no leaks. Mine had been on there since 79 and that muther was on there good! I tried all the old tricks AND broke 3 pullers. I ended up cutting the dirty SOB off. It's true, my jeep has made me talk ugly more than once!

post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-04-2001, 09:45 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Your sure the threads on the puller arn't bottomed out, right ? Does the puller spread and pop off ? If does put a c-clamp on it. Try using the puller and the dbl. hammers at the same time...

If it comes with instructions, then it's not what the pros use.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-05-2001, 05:14 AM
Keyboard Implanted

put that puller on.. hit it with the bfh.. tighten it.. and hit ... tighten... and so forth.. till it wont go anymore.. then let it sit like that over night... go back to it.. hit it with the bfh.. and it might just pop right off.. ive done this several times.. also works good on the amc 2 piece shafts..

http://www.jeepgod.net

84 CJ-7 401/T-18/D20/D44/D60w/4.10&Detriots/YJ frame & tub/35x16x15 Boggers
<font color=orange>survival is instinct, but living takes guts</font color=orange>
post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-05-2001, 06:31 AM
sas87yj

ok you know i won't give upon this one! i did the leave the puller on under pressure overnite but didn't budge. no the puller is not bottomed out-still gobbs of threads to go. the puller does not spread and peel off. actually the puller is a strong little b!tch. i will do the puller, juice, 2-hammer routine till it breaks! what other alternative is there-buy a whole new steering box? i don't think so! yeah you know how rust works-i can see rust on the exposed splines above the arm and also at the end of splines under it. thanks guys for the vote of confidence and i'll let you know when it budges!
thanks,steve

post #10 of (permalink) Old 03-05-2001, 07:35 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Can't promise this will work, but with the pulller on and snugged tight, heat the shaft like you've been doing with your propane torch, .but this time, have a large glass of cold water handy and dose the shaft... et all, with the water, then use that BFH,,,,,you may have to repeat the process one more time,,but two attemps should break it lose.....

DrummondCJ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode