Off Roading Forums banner

Automatic dilema.

323 views 4 replies 1 participant last post by  Sycho15 
G
#1 ·
If you have been on this board for a couple of weeks, you know I am planning on doing an automatic behind my 401. So far I have found 2 trannies. One is a 727 out of an 81 Wagoneer, that would be great if I could find a D300 Tcase, and the flexplate for the 401 is looking like a factory order, not a major problem, still have a lot of time. The other tranny is a TH400 out of a 77 Wagoneer, The big bummer, it mated to a Quadratrac Tcase, so that means adapters, regardless of which Tcase I use, either a D20 that I allready own or a D300. If I find a D300 the 727 would be the way to go. If not, I am leaning towards the TH400. I do have one question on the TH400, I heard it requires a spacer between the crank and torque converter, without that spacer you will destroy the pump. Does anyone know where I could find one? Finding a flexplate for the 401/400 combo is easier. I can get it overnight, and it is $20 cheaper, plus I have rebuilt a TH400 before. The closest I have ever got to touching a 727, I might have touch the one on my old Scout when I pirated the transfercase. Zero experience with the 727. Does the 727 need the kick down rod even with a manual valve body. I know that if you keep it fully automatic, and you remove that rod, you will burn the tranny up. I guess it also controls pressure. As far as I am concerned, the 727 might as well be the Space shuttle, because I know equal about both.

Ray

See less See more
#2 ·
If you've rebuilt a TH-400, you can rebuild a TF-727. You do not need the kick-down linkage with the fully manual valvebody. The 727 is much more efficient than the 400, so you'll be able to use more of that 401's power and have a cooler-running tranny. If your looking at adapters either way, why not run the 727? You also might want to look into using a...Dodge (I think!) NP-208 if you can't find a D-300. The Dodge 208 should have a 23-spline input shaft (count them if you find one!), passenger-side front drop, and a fixed rear yolk.

'Gator Chaser

G
#3 ·
Thanks, My biggest concern was the kickdown, the rebuild sould be easy, but unfamiliar. I have found 2 727's so far, and possibly a D300, if the seller is willing to ship. I would have to get the complete 81 Wagoneer for 1 ot the trannies, the problem is I have no place to set a junk vehicle, so maybe, if it dosen't sell I can just get the tranny.

Ray

G
#4 ·
Another Tcase option I have with the 727, is the Atlas. Buying a D300 and putting in lower gears would cost at least $1000. For another $1000, I could have the lower gears, and a nearly bulletproof Tcase. Lower gears would be nice, but really not needed for the wheeling I do, and I have yet to break my D20, so I really don't need a stronger Tcase, but it is an option.

Ray

#5 ·
That is one of the reasons I bought this tranny. I plan on running a Klune V and Atlass 2 in the (far distant, I'm sure) future. I refuse to pay for adapter plates, so I only use parts that bolt together!

get the Torque Converter and flex-plate bolts too. If you want to use the bolts from your manual's flywheel you'll have to cut them down by about a 1/4" I just found this out yesterday /wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif

'Gator Chaser

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.