low range install on q-track - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-01-2001, 07:52 PM Thread Starter

low range install on q-track

Hi all,

A friend of mine owns a 78 cj-7 with the 304 and quadra-track, but it didnt come with the low range. Now that we found the low range unit and that I'm stuck instaling it for him[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]. My question is: how do we shift into low range? he's got the vacuum switch for emergency drive but thats it. Will I have to fabricate some linkage? or is it vacuum operated.....help[sad]! I knew I should have read up on my q-track knowledge before saying yes! Oh well, only one way to learn! thanks

Ben

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-01-2001, 08:33 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: low range install on q-track

The original stuck thru the tunnel near the floor...nothing special

Chrome won't get ya home, but it might get ya laid.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-01-2001, 09:05 PM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] You'll be fine.......just improvise. The factory setup wasn't exactly the slickest thing I've ever seen. In case you have trouble, my crack 24-Hr Moonguy[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Quadra-Trac team is already standing by at the airport. I need to tell you, however, they travel strictly first class and they'll need plenty of booze and broads for when the job is finished. They might be little, yellow, and round, but they never let that stop them when it comes to smoozing chicks.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

CJDave
Quadra-Tracs modified While-U-Wait by the crack moonguy[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Quadra-Trac Team.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-01-2001, 10:26 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

It's a pretty simple linkage setup with a lever on the side of the transmission tunnel. I'd bet that if you asked around in here someone probably has the stuff you need laying around their garage after converting to a different transfer case (seems to be a popular thing to do). I personally like my Q-trac.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-02-2001, 07:09 AM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] If you think you like your QT now; you should drive one with the cone clutches disabled. Now THAT's a nice setup.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

CJDave
Quadra-Tracs modified While-U-Wait by the crack moonguy[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Quadra-Trac Team.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-02-2001, 05:50 PM Thread Starter

Hey Dave, can your moonguys handle canadian beer and french chicks[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]! I guess your right, there is nothing like a custom job. I'll keep yug guys posted on our project. That poor jeep's been sitting in the snowbank all winter. Thanks

Ben

post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-02-2001, 06:23 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

The Crack Moonguy team goes thru booze and women like a tornado in a trailer park, cash your check in singles and keep the bar stocked!

On a more serious note, I was faced with the same dilemma 6 mos ago. I installed the low range and bent a piece of 3/8-16 threaded rod I had laying around with a 90 at each end. One 90 faced down and went into the Tcase shifter, the other 90 faced sideways. A better set up would be to use some 3/8 round stock with the same bends and washers with cotterpins. I had to leave my nuts loose so they wouldn't bind...that didn't come out quite right, although I can relate to it...he he. The thing works perfect and took me a whole 5 minutes to fabricate. Good luck.

Steve M
1976 CJ-7, 304, TH400, Q-Trac, 4:10's, 33x12.5 Goodyear MT's, blah, blah , blah...

"Heavy guns - Reach out and touch someone"
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-05-2001, 02:30 PM
SPRUCE

I did it much the same way as CJ Dave said with the 3/8" round stock then threaded both end. Then I put some hime joints on the rod (this makes it adjustable) I was able to find a shifting lever out of a Cherokee then custom make the linkage rod.

THE DIFFICULT WE DO IMMEDIATELY, THE IMPOSSIBLE TAKES A LITTLE LONGER...
post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-05-2001, 05:16 PM Thread Starter

SUCCESS!

Yup, got everything together this week-end and it works! That low-range ir really gonna help on the trail. Thanks for your help guys! I used some 3/8 rod washers and cutter pins a bracket here, a bracket there and an old shifter ball!

Ben

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode