On-Board Air problem... - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-28-2001, 06:34 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

On-Board Air problem...

Hey all,

I have a 305 Chevy with the stock AC unit from a Firebird. Its not a York. Its round, I know that its not the A-6 or whatever. Anyway, I know that the setup works. I hooked up an oiler before the compressor and a filter after the compressor.

I am having some problems with the oiler. For some reason it won't suck the oil through to the compressor. I can see the oil moving around in the glass bottle but nothing is going up the tube into the compressor.

I know that the compressor is working. It fills my 7gal tank pretty quick actually. I am able to take the valve stem out of my tire to deflate it and fill it back up under like 2 minutes...

I am happy with the way it is working. I just need to figure out this oiler.

There is an adjustment on the oiler for the amount of oil. I have played with it for a while now and can't get it to work.

What kind of oil should I use? Air tool oil? Refrig. oil? THanks.

84CJ7 SOA,35's,OnboardAir,Dual winches,Full Cage,Snorkels, and more
OverMost 4WD Club
JerseyWheelers Club
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-28-2001, 08:36 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: On-Board Air problem...

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] I assume that you have the round pump that is about seven or eight inches in diameter and about three or four inches long? That unit SHOULD sniff oil OK, just the way you have it set up. You can use 10W oil in that. Perhaps the oiler is made for a higher flow and there is not enough air passing through it. Compared to most compressor displacement, the refridgeration compressor may be quite a bit lower and I suspect the oiler is volume/flow specific. I was hoping that DirtDog would jump in on this one since he is an experienced A/C guy.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

CJDave
Quadra-Tracs modified While-U-Wait by the crack moonguy[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Quadra-Trac Team.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-28-2001, 08:50 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

So I need to try 10W oil? I will have to try that. The rest of the system is working fine.... I did shoot some oil in the compressor and it went to the filter just fine. The only concern I have is that the filter filled up pretty quick.

HOW much oil does the compressor really need to run ok? Does it need to be "full" or what?

Also, is it ok if the compressor gets a little warm? or what?

THANKS FOR YOUR HELP!

OverMost 4WD Club
JerseyWheelers Club
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-28-2001, 09:01 AM

Anyone useing air compressor for truck and bus air brakes.
My dad always mounted one on his pickup trucks, sometime he mounted them on the motor and sometime on a transmution PTO.

My Jeep is a work in progress, Happy Trails
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-28-2001, 09:08 AM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] It doesn't take much oil, but those compressors are relatively unknown to me as far as direct experience using them as an air pump. Yes.....the compressor will get warm.....all compressors will warm up. If you are getting anything like a large amount of oil out the discharge, that's too much oil. There should only be a small amount of oil coming through. If you can find the crankcase plug and put a small amount of oil directly into the compressor that would be good. By small amount I mean a 12 Oz. coffee cup at the most.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

CJDave
Quadra-Tracs modified While-U-Wait by the crack moonguy[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Quadra-Trac Team.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-28-2001, 09:12 AM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] Those big jobbies usually have pressure lubrication from the truck engine, and often water cooling from the engine as well. They will mount up OK, but they have no provision for an electric clutch so they turn alla time.....although with the unloader valve holding the valves open ......and require more HP. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

CJDave
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-28-2001, 09:17 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Well, I was concerned that it didn't have any oil in it so I shot about 12oz of oil into the compressor through the "inlet". Once it made its way to the filter it filled it up 1/2 way.

The compressor got a little to warm to keep my hand on it. I am just worried that I will burn up the compressor if it doesn't have enough oil.

OverMost 4WD Club
JerseyWheelers Club
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode