Tcase question/Pepboys....lol - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-26-2001, 11:53 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Tcase question/Pepboys....lol

Ok, I know, I know, Everytime I go to Pepboys something is wrong.. I was looking for some gaskets and seals for my D20 Tcase. Since the Tcase isn't from my jeep I told the guy that its a 75ish tcase in a CJ.

He kept saying somethign about a 229? Is that a tcase? He found the 300 and the QuadraTrac but nothing for "Dana20"... Does anyone know anything about a 229? Maybe he just didn't know what he was looking at...

THanks.

84CJ7 SOA,35's,OnboardAir,Dual winches,Full Cage,Snorkels, and more
OverMost 4WD Club
JerseyWheelers Club
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-26-2001, 12:32 PM

Re: Tcase question/Pepboys....lol

Is it a Dana 20? Try Napa. If you don't have a napa, try:
http://www.napaonline.com

I ordered online got my seal kit for a dana 20 in two days....and it came with a free baseball cap...

'79 CJ-7
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-26-2001, 06:35 PM

229 must be a computer code for "we don't know what the hell this guy is talking about"LOL[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
I got a "code 229" when I asked the guy behind the counter about the Rochester carb off a chevy 283 ,he went through a few dozen screens before he finally dug out ...you know one of those four letter words "book"and found something he could type in and find it but I am not sure if it is the right one or not.
Welcome to the twenty first century

Ray
Learn to let go of what does not serve you ,but forces you to serve it
why does everyone ask if I am gonna paint it ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-26-2001, 08:27 PM
Official Historian

There was a new process 229 transfer case used on full size jeeps:

The New Process 229 is a chain-driven, aluminum-cased, full-time transfer case. It offers a 2.61:1 low-range. It was available from 1981 to the end of production as the Select-Trac, with the exception of 1986.

The NP-229 is selectable between 2-high, 4-lo, and full-time 4-high. This is possible through the use of a limited-slip viscous-coupled differential in the transfer-case. Unlike the BWQT, it does not require the expensive Quadra-Trac fluid to operate in full-time mode; it uses ATF

79/CJ-7/AMC360/TH400/Q-TRAC/d30/d44/33's/RS9000s/Herculiner/Pro-jection 2D/MSD/4.10s/lockrights
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-26-2001, 08:44 PM

<font face="Comic Sans MS">The secret to getting parts and info at Pep Boys (at least the one we used to have here until they closed it) is finding one clerk person that seems like they'll be easy to get along with and go to them every time you go in there, maybe BS with them for a while about this or that. After a few times the one I found just asked if I wanted to find my own stuff in the computer and they'd just go get the stuff once i found it... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] Worth a try at least.. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] </font>

Tim "Sandman"

ORC Land Use columnist:
My February article on ORC
(I'm finally back)
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-26-2001, 08:55 PM

model 20 is pretty common stuff. i would stay away from that sales guy. i have had good luck with quadratec in pa. if you want me to send you the page with the breakdown of the model 20 and parts cost. email me and i'll scan it and send it. dave. [email protected]

paw print
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode