clutch preference - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-26-2001, 03:50 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

clutch preference

I drove my buddy's '74 CJ the other day and compared it to my '73. I noticed his clutch is a hell of a lot stiffer than mine to push down. I also noticed no slipping of the clutch is needed for 1st or 2nd. You just let off the pedal w/o any throttle required. Mine, however, requires a substantial amount. He says its because of his pressure plate and how its probably a lot more heavy duty. I looked around in the catalogs and found Centerforce offers 3 different models of friction. Is the pressure plate in fact the cause of not needing to slip it any? And which of the 3 is recommended?

I wish I was in Tijuana, eating BBQ'd iguana
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-26-2001, 07:34 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: clutch preference

Your buddies jeep either has more torque or lower gears. The clutch has nothing to do with the amount of throttle it takes to get moving. A good oem clutch with HD springs is all you need.

Good judgement comes from experience...
Experience comes from bad judgement.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-26-2001, 07:42 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Don't waste your money on the Centerforce clutch. I did and that was money that could have been well spent elsewhere. The pedal is soft which helps on long trail rides but I have smoked it way too often.

K-16
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-27-2001, 01:01 AM

IMHO, a new replacement LUK clutch pak would be all you need. I used this setup when I swapped my T-18 in and it works EXCELLENT. Since using this LUK I wouldn`t use nothing else. You can get a new clutch, pressure plate and throwout bearing for less than $200. From what I`ve heard that`s a lot less than a Centerforce, and will work just as good or better. Can`t really comment about the difference of your 73 and your buddy`s 74 without more specifics but dirtrod sounds like he`s on the right track. Just my $.02 worth.

Jeff
<font color=red>`75 CJ-5,304,T-18/D300,</font color=red>
<font color=orange>SOA w/YJ springs,D30/D44,</font color=orange>
<font color=blue>Always under construction</font color=blue>
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-27-2001, 01:20 AM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] I'm with 77CJ-7 on this one. I used to have 12" Borg and Beck 12-spring clutches in our GM 3/4tons, and it was NOTHIONG BUT TROUBLE! They have such high spring pressure that you cannot hold them down for any length of time, they break every piece of clutch linkage that is stock, and the force that it puts on the crankshaft thrust bearing surface will eventually cause the thrust pad to fail and the crank can just move all over the place. I soon found it much better to cut one spring out of each group of that pressure plate and go to 75% beef instead of 100%. The clutch would still start a stopped and loaded pickup on a grade no problem. Don't forget, a centerforce clutch depends on high RPM to fling the weights out and put pressure on the clutch surface. At low RPM they aren't worth as much.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

CJDave
Quadra-Tracs modified While-U-Wait by the crack moonguy[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Quadra-Trac Team.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-27-2001, 09:14 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

There has been mucho discussion on this board ref. clutches. It is the general opinion that Centerforce is a BIG waste of money. I've been using LUK for a long time, you can't do any better. And now they are easier to find, I understand Pep Boys has started carrying them.

Brad
ORC Land Use Section Editor
http://www.off-road.com/land
Vice-Pres. Rock Garden 4 Wheelers, Farmington, NM
http://rockgarden.rockcrawler.com
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-27-2001, 10:30 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

its not that my clutch is bad. In fact it has less than 10K on it. I'd just like a system where I didn't have to slip it AS much, like on steep inclines, and I was told that going to a heavier duty clutch would alleviate this.

I wish I was in Tijuana, eating BBQ'd iguana
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-01-2001, 12:45 AM

I had a Centerforce Stage Two (back when the BA-10 still worked) and it did great! I play in the mud and sand though, so spinning up the engine enough to make those weights work is not a problem! There isn't much crawling to be done in FL, except to the keg and back!

'Gator Chaser
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode