gear setup help - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-16-2001, 06:39 PM Thread Starter

gear setup help

can someone, anyone look at this pattern and tell me what in the hell is wrong?

Ive moved the pinion all over the place ( including the number scriubed on teh pinion) and changed Backlask from .004-.012 and it doesnt get Much better.

IM beginning to think there is something wrong with my pattern paint ( yellow stuff) or the way im checking it, it just doesnt look like aclean defined oval like the books say it should.

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?...394&p=41131924

thanks for looking!

OzarkJeep

"If thats the way that you want it, well thats the way I want it more..."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-16-2001, 06:58 PM

Re: gear setup help

hey,
it kind of looks like everything might be to dirty and oily for it to stick, the gears need to be kind of dry before applying the marking compound.
i don't know if you know, you need to put some resistance on the ring gear with one hand while turning the pinion with the other. i put the heel of my hand on the ring gear and let it drag a much as i can stand while turning the pinion,
so if you show me a drive and coast side in close/better picture i might have a guess which way to move what[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
you do check it with the bearing caps torqued?

<font color=red>3/4tonYJ</font color=red>

http://www.geocities.com/yj3qtr_ton
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-16-2001, 07:49 PM
Can't Get Enough

I can't quite tell from the pic, but you must have the diff side bearing caps on and torqued before taking the pattern. You must also put enough pressure on the ring gear so it takes about 40 foot lbs. of torque to move the pinion to get a proper pattern. If you are off on the pinion depth at all, be off on the toe side.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-16-2001, 07:49 PM Thread Starter

ahhh too oily to stick, ok I had cleaned it all with brake cleaner, it really is ALOT cleaner than it looks, but it was starting to get rusty about one day into the process, and I sprayed it all with WD 40. hmm, BUT I did spray with brakecleaner again ( to clean the marking compound off) I checked it several times, with a pinion movememnt or backlash adjustment between each try.

SO its probably not the oil thing, BUT
I didnt put any resistance on teh ring gear, and I didnt tighten the bearing caps down, nor did I have the pinion nut tight. Maybe I should have?

so maybe IM not too far off, thanks for the help!

OzarkJeep

post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-16-2001, 07:56 PM

just making it clicky...
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?...394&p=41131924

post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-16-2001, 08:23 PM

the pinion bearings need to be preloaded first.
initially i usually put pinions in with the new bearings/races and depth shims only, using the old nut. no crush sleeve and no seal. then tighten the yoke/nut just enough to get about 20 inch pounds of preload on the bearings.

then i install the carrier assy. and first get the backlash correct before even thinking about the pattern.

FYI, after the backlash and pattern are good, (meaning the pinion depth is correct), i take the carrier back out and put on the crush sleeve and install the seal, and set the preload with a brand new nut.

<font color=red>3/4tonYJ</font color=red>

http://www.geocities.com/yj3qtr_ton
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-16-2001, 08:46 PM Thread Starter

ok, My air compressor needs a new switch and I dont have a tool to hold the yoke and tighten the nut enough with an impact. so I didnt tighten the pinion nut, I know now that I should have.

Ill tighten everything down, clean the crapola out of it, and try the pattern again.

thanks for the info 3/4ton!

OzarkJeep

post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-17-2001, 02:19 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Location: Tualatin, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Milkyway Galaxy, Universe...

Might I ask how hard this seems to be of a project? How easy is it to mess it up pretty badly? If you're pretty mechanically inclined, could you do this well on your first try, if you TAKE YOUR TIME?

"James and the Giant Jeep"
1993 Wrangler 4.0/5spd, Herculined Interior, D44s Soon
post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-17-2001, 02:53 AM

Jamgood,
Good gear sets usually come with good instructions with their master rebuild kits.
But as you can see by Ozarks questions, they can still be a pain in the a$$.
You need to have a good dial idicator, torque wrench and micrometer, after that you just need to resolve yourself to do it right. A gear set up is not done untill its done right, no matter how many times it takes. ther are a few tricks like grinding down the ols bearing races a few .00's" and using them as the set up races, but basicly you just have to want to do it, then struggle through the 1st ones.

Jeff
89 YJ
"Its Do or Dont Do, There is no Try"
post #10 of (permalink) Old 02-17-2001, 03:25 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Location: Tualatin, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Milkyway Galaxy, Universe...

So how much would a good dial indicator, micrometer, and inch-pound torque wrench cost me? What about sockets and stuff? Should I invest in a press? I've just never been a big fan of hitting the crap out of something til it goes in I've definetly got the will to do this. I'll tackle any project once. And as you, Jeff, and the rest of the guys on this board probably knows, I ask any and every question when in doubt. It's my nature to make sure I know exactly what I'm doing when tackling a project. Thanks a bunch!

"James and the Giant Jeep"
1993 Wrangler 4.0/5spd, Herculined Interior, D44s Soon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode