what's it cost to rebuild an axle? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-16-2001, 06:22 PM Thread Starter

what\'s it cost to rebuild an axle?

I am sure the prices would vary a lot depending on what you do to it. For an example say i found 85 grand wagoneer w/ d44. If i wanted to replace everything i could what do you think the cost would be and what would i have to do? The rear would use a carrier, ring and pinion, bearings and gaskets, brake drums and shoes. Anything else. The front would need the same plus what u-joints and anything else?? Anyone got a price on that? Would there be any need to completely go through an axle like that? What would be the benifits of doing that. Thanks for the help

Sold the CJ... Cant wait for the next time around!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-16-2001, 06:30 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: what\'s it cost to rebuild an axle?

well depends on what you are doing with this axle.. first off.. if this is coming out of a running vehicle.. or something close to that.. you wont necessarily need to replace the carrier.. or r&p gears.. you might want new gears.. and i mean different ones.. say.. instead of 2.72's.. which suck.. something like 4.10's... and if you plan on something else.. like a locker.. then some of them.. you will not even need the carrier.. since they are one unit.. arb, detriot, etc.. were as some posi's you will need to install them into your carrier..
but.. i would replace ALL bearings and seals.. and since its apart.. you gotta love that saying... you might as well replace the u-joints in the front axle shafts.. and the ball joints or whatever you have there.. (where the steering knuckle pivots).. most of this is preventive maintenance.. meaning you are fixing something now... while its out.. vs later on the trail.. depending on the condition and depth of your wallet will determine how much you want to do.. i didnt replace my ball joints... they were in good shape.. but some will just do it.. do get it done..

http://www.jeepgod.net

84 CJ-7 401/T-18/D20/D44/D60w/4.10&Detriots/YJ frame & tub/35x16x15 Boggers
<font color=orange>survival is instinct, but living takes guts</font color=orange>
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-16-2001, 06:35 PM Thread Starter

this is only a hypothetical (sp?) question. I am just trying to get a feel for alxe swaps and axle rebuilding. Would there be any reason to replace the hubs?

Sold the CJ... Cant wait for the next time around!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-16-2001, 06:37 PM

the little innner diff seals on a front 44 are like $17 each, I called and check, U joints for the front are $10-$30 each, balljoints, hmm I dont recall, calipers are $20 each with exchange, pads are $12.

it REALLY ads up, especially if you add the differential bearings, IM doing it right now, little by little as the $$ allows.

OzarkJeep

"If thats the way that you want it, well thats the way I want it more..."
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-16-2001, 06:48 PM
Keyboard Implanted

d-44 balljoints are close to $100, might as well......
might as well put the detroit in too ..since it's all apart...thats $473 delivered.. gears and the install kit are $200, looking at just over $1000 for everything new except axleshafts and brakes

~~Elusive~~
[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]tj-7..tellico tested, uwharrie [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]safaried..1 ton drivetrain[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]..see it at http://www.jeepgod.net
oh yeah, and a 2000 tj,lift,33's..etc
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-16-2001, 07:58 PM

Labor cost: [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
$200 R&P set up (bearing and seal changes)
$90 as side for ball joints,
$20 U-joints
$20 turn rotors
replace/repack wheel bearings free if already apart.

i'd only replace the hubs if the wheel bearing races are not tight and worn the hub assy.
if your talking about lockout hubs, there are better quality ones than factory, but not really needed for street driving.

<font color=red>3/4tonYJ</font color=red>

http://www.geocities.com/yj3qtr_ton
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-17-2001, 02:03 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Location: Tualatin, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Milkyway Galaxy, Universe...

Is it only $200 to setup up gears? Is this what I'm reading. That's a relief to me. I thought it was like $500. How much would someone charge to setup gears AND a locker? Other than that, I think I can handle the ball joints, u-joints, and all the other crap. Shouldn't be to bad. But I'm really interested in pricing for gear setup!

"James and the Giant Jeep"
1993 Wrangler 4.0/5spd, Herculined Interior, D44s Soon
post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-17-2001, 02:43 AM

Gear set ups are usually around $200-$250. If you can find a shop that will let you watch and learn it will save a lot of cash down the road. Gear set ups are not rocket science, they are just a little technical, but once you see one it take the mystery out of it. After that its just a matter of doing it right.
I generically look at most axle swaps, with a detroit, as costing $1000. i could be cheaper if you find one with desirable gears and your not going for a locker(but why would you swap and not lock), strong locked axles is the turning point for any rig looking to go serious.

Jeff
89 YJ
"Its Do or Dont Do, There is no Try"
post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-17-2001, 02:58 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Location: Tualatin, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Milkyway Galaxy, Universe...

Okay, it's about $200-250 for a gear setup. So it'd be about $500 or so to do both front a rear. Now, couldn't I get all the tools for a lot less than that? Like around $200 for all the tools. That'd be saving like $300. Plus I'd gain the knowledge and privledge of doing this myself. I know it is time consuming, and I'm in no rush. If it takes time to do right, I'm fine with that. What do you think Jeff?

"James and the Giant Jeep"
1993 Wrangler 4.0/5spd, Herculined Interior, D44s Soon
post #10 of (permalink) Old 02-17-2001, 03:22 AM

I think you answered the question yourself. And you answered it the right way, to boot. You want to do it, so just do it, and you realize the importance of buying some good quality tools to own for the future and to do it right the 1st time. just look at guys like Jeepgod Elusive, and High 5, there are many others but these guys come to mind because they recently dove into axle swaps,(or in Jeepgod and Elusives case, are constantly into some axle swap or another). If these guys find a good deal on an axle, and a set of used gears, then "Bam",a rebuild kit and a few hours later they have an axle with the gears they need and the reat is just welding and bolting. I look at guys like Jeepgod and Elusive, high 5 and the others, and see what they are doing, and thats what I try to copy, not neccesarrily as far as designs or driving skills go, (because I have them all beat there, hehehehe), but in attitude, they do everything themselves, and that gives you the freedom to build what you want at an affordable price. I may have never started a swap in a equiptment yard, by myself, if I hadnt learned to respect, and envy what they were doing.
Just do it, If you choose to be good at it,..you will be, its just a matter of wanting to be that good.

Jeff
89 YJ
"Its Do or Dont Do, There is no Try"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode