upgrading np231 chain - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-16-2001, 03:33 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

upgrading np231 chain

i know that there is a way to replace the np231J chain with a wider one.. i believe it is using parts from the dodge np231D. my question is what parts do you need exactly? anybody done this? i just recently discovered my chain likes to skip i guess its worn and stretched.. figure i might as well upgrade.. thanks

'95 YJ with mods
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-16-2001, 07:58 PM
Can't Get Enough

Re: upgrading np231 chain

The t-case you need is the 231 dhd, which means dodge heavy duty. Don't just change the chain and the gears, but also the planetaries, as the dhd uses six instead of three gears, and are wider. It's probably cheaper to just buy a complete unit from a junk yard than to buy the internal parts.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-16-2001, 09:03 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Theoretically this could be done. Haven't seen anyone go to the trouble though.

By getting a new chain(don't buy a used one, b/c they stretch over time and no reason to go and do it again later) and either a used or new set of sprockets for the 231D x-fer.

I would stay with the NP231J gear set b/c of the ability to use a TeraLow set up. Haven't heard of anyone breaking the planetary gears in the 231J either.

The only part of the 231J that breaks often is the out put shaft. So, I would like to caution you about purchacing mechined stock output shafts. Get one of the kits now produced that offers the larger shaft and the 32 splines as opposed to the stock 27. Just avoid the ones that require a core charge and you will be OK.

The 231 is a good case, all in all. Some slight building with the proper parts and they will last a long time.

Jason

Actually, how many people have you heard of that have broke the chain. I can think of only one and that guy didn't check his fluid, his case was dry. What I am trying to say is this is one of those things that you might want to wait until it breaks, then upgrade it.

<font color=green>----------------</font color=green>
<font color=green>[]llll[] '90 YJ</font color=green>
<font color=green>"There are no shortcuts to any place worth going."-Anon.</font color=green>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-17-2001, 09:21 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

well.. i broke my chain today. wheeling at gilmer, TX. the front driveshaft would intermittently turn and then it stopped alltogether in both 4hi and 4lo... so i will be buying i guess the new sprockets and chain.

'95 YJ with mods
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-17-2001, 11:01 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Try talking to JB Conversions, they do alot of work on New Process/Venture stuff. If anyone can lead you in the right direction they can. Talk to John, he is the brain there.

Jason

<font color=green>----------------</font color=green>
<font color=green>[]llll[] '90 YJ</font color=green>
<font color=green>"There are no shortcuts to any place worth going."-Anon.</font color=green>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode