rochester question - attn. tlendt1 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-16-2001, 10:44 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

rochester question - attn. tlendt1

tlendt1 (or anyone who can help),
ok, i just picked up my new rochester carb. and am planning on doing the swap this weekend. so i have a few quick questions. first is there any thing that i should watch out for? i assume this is a pretty straight forward swap - unbolt old, bolt on new. (at least in theory) did you keep your stock air filter assembly or did you have to change? also do you have a part # for the universal throttle adapter? b/c the parts store said they have several.

thanks
shawn

"Fear causes hesitation and hesitation causes your worst fears to come true"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-16-2001, 10:49 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: rochester question - attn. tlendt1

The swap is reletively easy. The hard part is adapting the throttle linkage. I used part of the old Carter, and welded it on the new link. If you can get someone with a part # for that adapter, that would make it even easier. Rip out all those emissions hoses on the 258, and cap them. All except for the PCV valve (to the rear of the Rochester - the BIG threaded hole in the base) and the small hose from the distributer (the small nipple sticking out right by the PCV hole in the rear of the new carb.) You will probably have to buy a threaded plug for a 3/8" hole in the front middle of the Rochester, and try to get a threaded plug with a nipple on it for the PCV opening.
Good luck, I believe you will like it very much when you're done!

Jed
80 CJ7 258w/TR,Holley carb,5" lift,33x12.5's.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-16-2001, 03:31 PM
69CJ5

Shawn-
Where did you purchase your Rochester? Is it NEW or remanufactured? I have been looking for a new Rochester 2G for some time now, with no luck. (Told they are no longer made).
Thanks for any help you can give.
Jerry

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-16-2001, 10:45 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I can help ya there. I also looked for a Roch for some time. I finally found mine at Oreilly's, they only have them in the midwest so I had to call one of their stores (the website only sells performance stuff oreillysautoparts.com). They said they could ship it but it would cost about $150 so I went with Advance Auto parts here in town for $129. DAPs also could order it for $139. If you don't have any of those stores in your town and none of the the stores in your area carry them you can probably get them to ship it to you. Heck if all else fails you could send me a check and I could ship it to you. I feel your pain I looked and looked too.
I got mine yesterday. Now to install the thing...

87 YJ 4.2L 31's TR upgrade looking for MSD, Seeking Rochester Carb
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-18-2001, 02:25 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

well the rochester is in (technically). i ended up cutting off part of the old carb linkage and welding it onto the new one. it ended up working and looking really well. now the other problem(s)....the stock air cleaner seems to sit too high, any suggestions? also for the vacuum that goes to the dist., does it have to go to something else as well as the dist. or do you have the line going straight to the dist.?...anyone?

as for buying the rochester, as instructed by tlendt1, i asked for a carb for a '65 Impalla w/ 283. i called O'reilly's and it was $96 plus shipping (i live in PA and they have no stores east of the mississippi). so i checked locally and prices ranged from $196 - $127 (plus core) for a 'holley remanufactured' rochester. so went to the place that said they would match competitors prices, told them what i could get it for at o'reilly's and they sold it to me for $110. the rest is history.

shawn

post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-18-2001, 06:43 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Make sure you run "ported" vac to the dist. This is slightly above the throttle plates, so no vac at idle. Eliminate any check valves, temp/vac switches, etc. You can also run a ported source to the purge valve (small nipple) on the vapor canister and then "T" the hose from the large nipple into the PCV line. Sounds weird but it seems to work well, run clean (relatively speaking) and not inhibit performance. What it will do is burn off crankcase and fuel tank vapors through the engine instead of releasing them into the air. Good luck and let me know how it runs. Tom

76 CJ5,2.5" lift/Rancho 9000's,258/T-177/D300,HEI,Offy,Locked F&R
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-18-2001, 08:13 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

tlendt1,
did you use the stock air filter? if not what did you use?

thanks,
shawn

post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-18-2001, 09:09 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I just got done putting an Eldelbrock trianguler shaped filter on my rochester. Works great, and got it for $20 at Autozone. It's a foam filter, washable, etc. I didn't want to use that stock filter either . . .

Jed
80 CJ7 258w/TR,Holley carb,5" lift,33x12.5's.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-18-2001, 10:22 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Some of the Old 2bbl cars had a filter base with a big recess to move the filter down...junkyard item. Stay with as large of filter as possible, those triangular foam filters with the formed cover won't last very long in dust, and they are very restrictive, even when clean...I run a exposed 14X5 K&N with a foam pre-cleaner over it, that filter must be 10 yrs. old.

post #10 of (permalink) Old 02-18-2001, 11:59 PM

With the exposed filter and all, do you run into trouble when it's cold out? I mean with not having the warm air thing running to the carb?

Sean

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode