No more shifting...? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-16-2001, 07:58 AM Thread Starter

No more shifting...?

I'm taking the CJ to work today just to shift gears for the last time. Tomorrow morning the T-176 comes out, and over the next few weekends a rebuilt 727 goes in. I have a seal kit ordered for the Dana 300, so I'm taking my time with it.
Here we go..:-)

'86 CJ-7, 360, T-176, Dana 44 rear w/Truetrac, Dana 30 w/Powertrax No-Slip, 4" Superlift, 4:11s, Warn HS9500i
Coming soon--TF727!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-16-2001, 11:29 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: No more shifting...?

hey Billr what made you chose the 727 over anything else particularly a 999 is it that much stronger?? i bought mine with a 999 installed and have wondered if it will last?
it is only hooked to a stock (for now) 258

83 CJ-7 TF-999, Original stock EVERYTHING when purchased. Now added leafs, shackles and shocks with new 33's. Still waiting for paint!!!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-16-2001, 12:42 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: No more shifting...?

The TF999 is a good tranny, don't switch it out just because someone has something bigger and better. But if you run across a killer deal on a TF727 don't hesitate to buy it for later. The TF999 should last for a long time behind a 258.

That being said, if you switch to an AMC V8 then that would be the time to upgrade your transmission. The TF727 has lived behind the Hemi(chrylser version) series engines and the AMC 401(AMC version). It is stout, will pretty much handle what ever you though at it, within reason.

If you do decide to go with a TF727 in the future you will need to remember one thing. You will need a lift to clear the transmission pan with your front driveshaft. 4" seems to be the consensis in that area.

Jason

<font color=green>----------------</font color=green>
<font color=green>[]llll[] '90 YJ</font color=green>
<font color=green>"There are no shortcuts to any place worth going."-Anon.</font color=green>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode