Help, my Jeep can't hang - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-16-2001, 04:07 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Help, my Jeep can\'t hang

Hi, my name is Steve and I am 18. I want to start making my 98 TJ more capable of off-roading. When I first got it, I needed to test it's limits. I got it stuck and I had to pay $600 to recover it. I need something that won't get stuck like that ever again. I know there are lots of options but I am on a very limited budget. What I feel needs to be done is a 4" suspension lift and 33x12.5 tires. I would also like a winch seeing as no one I know has one. I currently have 31x10.5 tires on 15x7 rims. I can't afford new rims. I need more clearance. I need a lift. What brand should I choose. I need affordability and duribilty. I also feel the winch would be a wise investment, and I need the bigger tires for harder trails. What should I do? Can I get all three without subjecting myself to inferior quality? What are my essentials here, and what is realistic for me? Any input would be great. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-16-2001, 06:48 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Help, my Jeep can\'t hang

remember that $600???? that could have bought you a winch... then you get to winch yourself out of anything you get into.. sounds like that should be the very first thing you should buy

~~Elusive~~
[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]tj-7..tellico tested, uwharrie [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]safaried..1 ton drivetrain[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]..see it at http://www.jeepgod.net
oh yeah, and a 2000 tj,lift,33's..etc
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-16-2001, 07:36 AM

I second the winch. The tires and lift will just get you farther in before you get stuck. With the winch, you can ALMOST always get out.
Do the winch first. And get a Warn the first time, so you won't have to buy another one! :-)

'86 CJ-7, 360, T-176, Dana 44 rear w/Truetrac, Dana 30 w/Powertrax No-Slip, 4" Superlift, 4:11s, Warn HS9500i
Coming soon--TF727!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-16-2001, 09:32 AM

Yeah, winch and recovery gear including tree saver and snatch block. the snatch block will double your pulling power and allow you to do side pulls. As far as cheap lift goes, do you want to do it right and once, or do you want cheap lift? Just to get you going and get you by, suggetion would be a 1.75" coil spacer lift and a 1" body lift. A freind runs that combo with 33" mud tires and does very well. Now he also has ARB's and tera low TC kit in that help, but the point is you don't need to drop a grand+ into a TJ in order to get 33" tires under it. I think I paid $790 for my HS9500. I agree with the above, another $190 and you could of pulled yourself out over and over.

Max

82 CJ, some stuff stock, some stuff not
Have you hugged your Jeep today?
http://members.fortunecity.com/patrol14/index.html
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-16-2001, 03:15 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Well I definately want high quality and I have two grand to spend. You guys say the winch is a definate. Now I could go for the Warn XD9000i and pay over a grand for the winch alone. This doesn't include new bumpers or the installation cost of the winch. Would I be better off buying the Black Rat manual winch that was just reviewed, or should I shell out the extra money for the Warn quality? I also think I should do at least a 2 inch lift with my current setup. I have some bump steer that needs to be eliminated.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-16-2001, 03:40 PM
Veteran

Money pit, how do you do side pull with a snatch block? I'm trying to picture it in my mind ... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

'91 YJ,I-6,2.5" lift,Boomerangs,33s,D30,D35c,Lock-Right F&R and a light foot
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-16-2001, 06:09 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Take a look at http://www.jdsoffroad.com. They have the XD8000i on sale w/ free shipping for $699, and they have the XD9000i for a $100 more. Lots cheaper than where you were looking.

An 8k winch is plenty for a jeep. I have a 9k, but that is because my company bought it for me. If I bought it myself it would have been an 8k. In my opinion, save that money and buy the 8k. Spend what you saved toward a recovery kit(snatch block, tree strap, tow strap, gloves, shackles, chain, etc.).

Jason

<font color=green>----------------</font color=green>
<font color=green>[]llll[] '90 YJ</font color=green>
<font color=green>"There are no shortcuts to any place worth going."-Anon.</font color=green>
post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-16-2001, 08:51 PM

I'm thinking of situations where you might want to jerk your a$$ end over a little bit; cable comes out 90 degrees from front end, through snatch block tied off to tree with tree saver and hooked back to the side or rear of your vehicle. Hey, it could happen!

Max

82 CJ, some stuff stock, some stuff not
Have you hugged your Jeep today?
http://members.fortunecity.com/patrol14/index.html
post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-16-2001, 10:49 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Best advice: Take a capable vehicle with you so that when you get stuck, and everyone but me gets stuck :-), you have someone to pull you out. I've managed to drag a 3/4 ton pickup up an icy hill offroad even though he couldn't even keep himself stopped on the hillside. I think the two cheapest modifications for a TJ are swaybar disconnects and coil spacers. I know the coil spacers mess pu your geometry a little but they are a cheap way to fit 32" aggressive mud terrains. In my experience it is possible to wheel with 31s but it takes more skill to avoid ruts and keep yourself off of high logs. I'd go with 32" MTs of some brand, probably Pro-Comp since they are cheap and have good wet traction. Happy Jeeping!!
Nick

Nick Hagen
1995 Wrangler
3" suspension lift, 3" body lift
33" Mud Tires
TBI Chevy 350 followed by a Turbo 350 tranny.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 02-17-2001, 01:44 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Your Jeep must be bare bones stock, I am guessing because your profile is blank...... I would concur with a good winch (WARN), mild lift and 33in MT tires. Look at Sport King tires 2/3 the price. Develop enhanced driving skills, and the previously mentions modifications and then sit back and let your Jeep take you anywhere.

76 CJ5 304 "its a JEEP thing, I hope you understand"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode