318 swap in my CJ - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-15-2001, 07:21 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

318 swap in my CJ

Ok guys, dumb question time. Rebuild for the 85 is in the planning stages. Will a 318 from a '97 Grand Cherokee fit? I have a 258, T4, D300.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-15-2001, 08:24 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: 318 swap in my CJ

it'll fit. you'll just have to figure out what tranny will bolt up that you can get an adapter for your x-case. a ford or chevy swap would probably be alot cheaper and easier because of adapter parts availability.

brian wilson
80 cj5 "high 5"
stretched to 100" wb
efi351w/np435/d300/d60fr/14br/detroits/4.56/38's
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-15-2001, 09:28 PM
Can't Get Enough

I think that the motor mounts will be the toughest part, but the Ram truck mounts that bolt lower to the block should work with a custom fabbed purch. Bolting the t-4 to it may be tough, and probably won't hold up very long. You can direct bolt up an AX-15 with a Dakota's bell-housing from a 3.9l. You can also direct bolt a NV-4500, and NV-3500 using a Ram's bell-housing. You could also try a Dodge version of the NP 435 using a Rancharger's housing, and notching a hole for the crank angle sensor. The advantage to this is all Magnum engines are roller engines and come with sequential port fuel injection!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-15-2001, 10:18 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks for the input. I guess i knew it would "fit" just getting the trans to bolt up will be the tough part. I guess i'll skip it or start saving for an NV4500. Saw it on ebay. If I can get a v8 cheap I'll do it, otherwise the 4.0 head swap looks like the answer. Thanx

post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-16-2001, 01:13 AM
Keyboard Implanted

I want to do something similar (sb MoPar/TF727) with my CJ-7 eventually. What I want to get though is the 360 crate motor (380 [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] horsepower) from MoPar Performance. Will a "Chrysler" pattern 727 bolt up to my Dana 300? Or is there an adapter available? Just thinking out loud again.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

Mike H.
1983 CJ-7 Laredo, Down to the bare frame...parts everywhere!
1991 Cherokee Limited
2000 Durango SLT

If it's tourist season...why can't we shoot 'em?
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-16-2001, 09:01 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

yes they do. infact the tf727 was used in some jeep wagoneers during the 80's. elusive used one of these in his jeep and the dana300 bolts right to the back of it. if you go the mopar route you can get the dodge 727 and find a junked jeep wag to steal the 727 from and install the jeep 727's tail housing onto the mopar version. this will give you a 727 that will bolt to your dodge motor and also to your dana300. i'm sure advance adapters makes a kit too.

brian wilson
80 cj5 "high 5"
stretched to 100" wb
efi351w/np435/d300/d60fr/14br/detroits/4.56/38's
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-17-2001, 12:38 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Cool! Thanks Brian, I knew there had to be a "junkyard way" of doing the trans to t-case hookup.

Mike H.
1983 CJ-7 Laredo, It's a roller with drivetrain now!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode