I want it (CJ7)! Should I get it??? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-15-2001, 06:57 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I want it (CJ7)! Should I get it???

I've been looking for a CJ7 for about 2 months now. Most of what I've seen has been in pretty bad shape. I went and looked at one today with the following features:

1982 CJ7
Chevy 350
T177(?) rebuilt 2 years ago.
Dana 300 (a little sticky coming out of 4 Lo)
New clutch, pressure plate, throw out bearing
New wheel bearings up front
New shocks
New starter (I think)
Replaced radiator
EZ Locker in rear(AMC 20 w/ 2 piece axles though)
33x12.5 with 15x10 chrome steel wheels
2 inch body lift
Frame is near perfect
Body is great in/out except some rust on one door at hinges and just a little bit on the floor board.
Hard top is in good condition
Chrome accessories/nerf bars

Now what it needsThat I know of)
Needs cowl seal
Needs valve cover gaskets
Needs clutch master cylinder or rebuild it.
Some bondo repair on the left between front fender and door.

I didn't get time to drive it today, but wanted to know your all's opinion. The guy is asking $4000 or best offer. Another thing I need to mention is that I need to get a vehicle pretty soon. I sold my daily driver and need something quick. I'm going to make an offer, but don't know what yet(?)

Thank in advance

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-15-2001, 07:16 PM
Old Hand

Re: I want it (CJ7)! Should I get it???

Sounds like a decent deal, but maybe offer something around $3,200 since it has been for sale for so long.

-raymo
Scrambler
258 4.0 Head/MPI,NV4500,D300,4.10's,HS9500
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-15-2001, 07:24 PM
Veteran

Seems like a decent deal to me, I've been keeping my eyes on the internet & locally for a friend of mine for a CJ7 for the past month & there seems to be a lot worse for a lot more $$ out there. It'd be great if you could get him down some, but for a wide track CJ7, that isn't unreasonable (or at least it wouldn't be here in the Pittsburgh area) - by the way, if you look on the internet, the best places I've searched are classifieds2000.com, autotrader.com & collectorcartraderonline.com they seem to have the most CJ's yahoo's classifieds are pretty good too.

Good luck -Mel-

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-15-2001, 07:45 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

The CJ7 only came out in the classifieds yesterday. I'm the one that's been looking for two months. If it drives good I'll offer $3000. Since I can have the $$$ to him that day maybe he'll be more apt to bargin with me. (I HOPE!!!) I was only wanting to put $4000 into one and that included upgrades. I was orginally looking to buy one for around $2000 and then put $2000 in mods on it. Oh well!

post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-15-2001, 08:25 PM
I Do This For The Glory

Man, too bad you didn't look into SCRAM's Scrambler up here, it's a nice rig, and pretty well built, not many mods needed. I have pics and a bio if you're interested.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-15-2001, 08:48 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

JEEPN, what did you mean by this? You had put it in another post.
<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr>

The 4.10 gears were an OPTION, to be had with ANY engine, it was not engine dependent like the jeeps.

<hr></blockquote>

If it makes any difference, this CJ7 orginally had a 4cy in it(?) What gears would you think is in it?

post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-15-2001, 09:07 PM
Veteran

I looked at a '80 CJ7 last weekend that originally had a 4 cyl. in it, the tag was still on the Dana 30 front axle, it said 3.54. I had *heard* that 4cyls *came* with 4.10's but I agree with JEEPN - that it was not a given. By the way JEEPN - I FINALLY saw a stamped AMC 20 rear axle on a CJ7 I was looking at for a buddy. I'm a believer & thanks again for the previous digital picture that showed exactly where to look. -Mel-

post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-15-2001, 10:59 PM
I Do This For The Glory

Anytime Mel, don't keep me in suspense, what was the ratio, was it the 3.54 you mentioned?

I am looking through one of my MANY manuals for the jeep, the factory technical service ones. They list what was optional and standard for the jeeps by engine size and transmission. For example, and this is straight out of the 1982 book:

Scrambler and CJ-7:

151 Engine, T-4 or T-5 tranny had 3.54 to 4.09 ratio, with the 4.09 being the option. (note the T-176 wasn't available)

258 engine, all trannies (T-176, T-4, T-5, auto) had the 2.73 to 3.31 ratio, with the 3.31 being the option.

Scouts never had this delineation, you could order the axles with anything you wanted, but 3.54 was the standard. Also, did you know that in 1978 the T-18a was only available with the 258 and not the 304 or the 232? How about the 4.09's being standard equipment on jeeps equipped with the "altitude package"? Or how about the Trac-Lok not being available with the Quadra-Trac?

I tell you, I have learned a ton from studying these manuals.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-15-2001, 11:34 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

You didnt mention if it had PS, PB, plain jane, renegade, laredo, good interior, is the motor built or stock.

Well from what you described about the CJ7 for sale, sounds reasonable for $4000 but I would be surprised if he would take $3000. I bet your have to come up to about 3650 to keep talking to him. Remember CJ's are getting harder to come by and going up in price believe it or not. I just bought my latest CJ5 six months ago and it took 1 1/2 months and 400 mile trip to get it. Also with the things you mentioned for repair I would expect at least another 1000 to get it running strong and safe for a daily driver, which sounds like what your looking for. Hope it works for you and good luck................
This is just my 2 cents and food for thought.

Rich

76 CJ5 304 "its a JEEP thing, I hope you understand"
post #10 of (permalink) Old 02-16-2001, 12:45 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

JEEPN seems like 'you da man' for tech info. I'll double check with the guy today to see what's in it, he replace the gears in the rear recently.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode