late model 4.0 questions - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-15-2001, 06:56 PM Thread Starter

late model 4.0 questions

Ok, for those of you who don't remember I got a '99 Cherokee 4.0 for my wife's 84 Scrambler, which is undergoinging a frame-up rebuild.
I discovered that the later model 4.0 don't have a fuel pressure regulator or a return line on the fuel rail, so I need to either swap in a earlier model fuel rail, go with the factory system(regulator/pump/float assembly in the tank)or use an external 3 port regulator after a suitable pump and run my return line from there back to the tank... I'm leaning towards the last option so far, anyone got any comments, or ideas I haven't thought of?
Also, I am still having a heck of a time trying to find a wiring diagram for the engine wiring harness, specifically the bulkhead connector. The Chilton's/Haynes are no help, as the do not include this in their books. I was gonna subscibe to http://www.alldatadiy.com but they don't cover the 99 model year yet. I am also loath to buy a factory manual at approx $100 or so for something that should be pretty easy to find!
Can some help me out here, as well?
Bob in Ma

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-15-2001, 09:11 PM
Can't Get Enough

Re: late model 4.0 questions

The fuel rail dosn't have a return line because the regulator is built into the fuel pump module. This is a 50 lb. system, and not the 35 to 42 lb. system the earlier ones used. The wiring may be a little bit more challenging on the newer ('96 up) system because of the ODB11. You will have to use two oxygen sensors, and hook up all of the evap. system to the fuel tank. I have a couple of fuel rails and injectors for the pre '96 systems if you are interested. Also complete manifolds and a couple of stock '95 harnesses. What year wiring harness and computer do you plan on running? And are you using an automatic tranny or a standard? Are you going to use the stock alternator and serpentine belt setup? The power steering pump mounting brackets have also changed, which bolt directly to the manifold, and are tensioned with a seperate pully. Also the connectors for the tps, map, cto have changed if you plan on going to the earlier fuel system. I will hunt around for a book if you like.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-16-2001, 06:00 PM Thread Starter

Re: late model 4.0 questions

I understand about the fuel plumbing requirements, I was just wondering what the easiest, best or cheapest options were. I am not to afraid of the challenges of the wiring, or the plumbing for that matter. This will be the 3rd CJ I have built from the ground up, but my 1st 4.0 swap.
The engine came with all the accessories and the flywheel and clutch assembly. I'm going to put the CJ's T-176 behind it, at least for the near future. It's got the horrible 2.73 gears in the axles, but this is going to be my wife's pavement pounder so I guess it's not a big deal.
I really need that wiring diagram, so if you could track down the information, I would really appreciate it..
Bob in Ma

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode