Steering Wheel - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-15-2001, 04:33 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Steering Wheel

I'm having too much of free play in my steering wheel (up down and side to side) [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/blush.gif[/img]. I guess my old habit was grabbing my steering wheel when getting in/out of my Jeep [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img], could this be the cause for something inside of the column to come loosen up? [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif[/img]

Thanks,

Nycjeep88 [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
AIM: nycjeep88

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-15-2001, 05:53 PM

Re: Steering Wheel

is it a tilt column? there are some screws that loosten and cause this, and also some bearings in teh tilt mech that Ive heard cause it.

open it up and check it out!

pretty simple, but save your sanity and borrow a spring plate compressor and a steering wheel puller.

OzarkJeep

"If thats the way that you want it, well thats the way I want it more..."
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-16-2001, 11:01 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Steering Wheel

Ozarkjeep,
Thanks you for the advise. Yes, I do have the tilt column. I've ask my mechanic with this problem and he told me that this is very common with GM's tilt column (I guess Jeep used GM's steering column. Its funny that regular column dosen't have such problem and owners wouldn't have this problem in the first place if Jeep would just put locktie in the threads [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif[/img]). Well, its gonna cost me $80 (2 hours worth of work) to fix this problem.

Thanks,

Nycjeep88 [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
AIM: nycjeep88

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode