registration question.. - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-15-2001, 04:06 PM Thread Starter

registration question..

By the end of my project, my jeep will consist of pieces and parts from about 10 different jeeps. I have the registration from my original vehicle, basically the frame now. If I bought the title to like say a '55 CJ-2 or something, could I just call my jeep a '55 and register it. HOw close to reality does the title have to be to what I have created-I mean what if I had a title to a Yugo or something more ridiculous..maybe a yugo tag on the hood I figure many of you have similar experiences and could give me some advice.

thanks
Jay

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-15-2001, 04:23 PM
Old Hand

Re: registration question..

As long as you have the V.I.N. # plate to go along with the title you should be good to go.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
I don't think you could get away with any other brand V.I.N.# plate like Yugo though.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
As always you should check local laws first.
Doesn't your D.O.T. have a web site you could check?

Donnie

GOD,GUTS and GUNS
MADE AMERICA FREE
I VOTE TO KEEP ALL THREE!!!!!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-15-2001, 04:38 PM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img] This heah's Guv'nah George Wallace; and ya'all un'dah arrest![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] Does anyone remember the sixties?[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/blush.gif[/img] Your Jeep sort of reminds me of that country-western song about the guy working in the Caddillac factory who brings parts home to make his own Caddy; except it takes him several YEARS to steal all the parts so he had a mixture of several different years.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

CJDave
Quadra-Tracs modified While-U-Wait by the crack moonguy[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Quadra-Trac Team.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-15-2001, 04:44 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I checked with the State Police for when I switch the tub and frame on mine. When I was ready I would call them and they would send out an officer to issue a new VIN and Title for the vehical. I just had to show reciepts for any major parts. This was in PA Though

In PA you are NOT allowed to switch the VIN plates on any vehical.

Lunatic
(O|||||||O)
My Jeep needs a second job[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-16-2001, 04:46 PM
Addict

I think the general rule, legally, is the frame is the vehicle. Practically, it may depend on whether the VIN stamped on the frame is legible. If there's any doubt they will look for the VIN on the frame and compare it.

When I bought my 79 CJ5 it already had a glass body. Since the body had obviously been replaced, I had to pay for a special inspection to compare the VIN on the firewall to the one on the frame..... and, of course, being a rusty '79, they couldn't find it. Eventually, they issued me a new VIN plate to stick on to the body, with the same number.

The location of the alternate VIN is supposed to be a secret, known only to the manufacturer and DMV, but on Jeeps it's supposedly either on the to p of the frame in the right rear wheel well, or the top or side of the RH frame rail in the engine compartment. If it's illegible, one could probably get away with calling it anything (not that I'd advise that, of course [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img].

-Dana

Welcome to the Federal Bureau for Reducing Bureaucracy!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode