Carter BBD question - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-15-2001, 11:38 AM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Carter BBD question

78 Carter BBD (runs just fine other then this). I can find no way to make this carb kick itself off of high idle automatically. I have rebuilt a Holly rebuild (pretty sloppy) to the specs in a 77 Jeep Service Manual (which match a Haynes, and a rebuild kit instructions). The high idle is set to 1700 on the second step (closest to the high step). This when cold (20F or so) gives me a starting idle of about 13-1400 (on the high step). As it warms up and the choke opens, the idle climbs. Tops out about 2900. I have to go back out and tap the accelerator to bring it down to something reasonable. While this warms up the unit pretty fast, it can't be good. The Haynes says it should be slowing down as the choke opens. I have played with the fast idle cam link extensively and must be missing something. Short of modifying the slotted attachment point on the choke butterfly can the BBD do this?

"Being responsible I will direct, and I will be responsible for nothing that I do not direct."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-15-2001, 05:41 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Carter BBD question

Slowing down as the choke opens is assuming you are driving the Jeep. There is no way for the fast idle cam to come off on its own. As the choke opens, it no longer holds the cam up at this high level, but the pressure of the idle set screw agianst it does hold it in place. The only way for it to drop is to hit the gas. On another note, it should not be set to fun at 2900rpm on the high cam warmed up. Readjust the set screw to get it down to about 1800 - 1900 when warmed up on the high cam. This is where it should be and you wont wreck any thing.

'88 Sahara, 4.2, auto.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-16-2001, 07:18 AM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Re: Carter BBD question

Figured as much. As to the fast idle, if I drop it to something like 2000 rpm (on the high step) when warm I get something like 7-800 when cold (20 F). This won't let it run most of the time. It just farts and spits and stalls. factory spec is 1600 on the second step (before high). Thats where it is and it runs fine. I just need to dummy up something to drop it off the high step automatically (or go out in the cold cruel world and tap it). Thanx

"Being responsible I will direct, and I will be responsible for nothing that I do not direct."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode