Model 300 Transfer Case - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2001, 11:09 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Model 300 Transfer Case

My Transfer Case is leaking pretty bad, along with my trans. I believe I have a T-4/T-5, not sure which. I am guessing T-5. I have an 84 CJ-7, 5 spd Man. I did some reading and found that in order to check the fluid level in the trans, you have to take out a plug on the side and stick your finger in there and if you feel oil then you are good. If not, then you add some. My question is how hard is it to clean up the Transfer case and redo the seal on it and how would I go about doing it. How do I tell which transmission I have? Thanks again for all the great info you guys give!

CaliCJ7
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2001, 11:22 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Model 300 Transfer Case

If its a 5 sp. then its a T5. As far as fixing the leaking t-case, where is it leaking from? Clean it off real good with degreaser, then drive it a little to see if you can tell where it is leaking from. Considering its an 84, it is time to pull the t-case and give it a little attention, at least replace all the seals and take a look at the bearings. The Dana 300 is VERY easy to work on, pretty darn easy to remove. I've said this a bunch before, while you are in there now is a good time to do a Tera Low conversion. Easier than doing diff gears, and the 4:1 low range is incredible. Replacing any of the seals on the t-case is not that easy without some disassembly, so do it right and remove it and go over the whole thing. One more thing, if you do remove the t-case, before you put it back in replace the oil seal in the back of the trans that seals around the t-case input shaft. You WILL leak if you don't.

Brad
ORC Land Use Section Editor
http://www.off-road.com/land
Vice-Pres. Rock Garden 4 Wheelers, Farmington, NM
http://rockgarden.rockcrawler.com
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-15-2001, 11:13 AM
Old Hand

Brad,

Does the Tera Low kit come with decent directions? It seems that their web site refers you to the factory service manual. I have the factory service manual for my '84 cj, but the section on the D300 isn't too big.

-ray

-raymo
Scrambler
258 4.0 Head/MPI,NV4500,D300,4.10's,HS9500
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-15-2001, 12:06 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

No, just a schematic and some caveats and suggestions. I used my Chilton's which was very detailed. It was one of the easier, although involved things I've done to the Jeep.

Brad
ORC Land Use Section Editor
http://www.off-road.com/land
Vice-Pres. Rock Garden 4 Wheelers, Farmington, NM
http://rockgarden.rockcrawler.com
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-18-2001, 10:39 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks for the great info. I cleaned it up and found the leak. I didn't have the cash to do a Tera Low but want to. The actual changing of the seals went rather well. Thanks!

CaliCJ7
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode