Off Roading Forums banner

scout axles under a cj-7

2K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  JEEPN 
G
#1 ·
The other day i was reading a post and i think it said these axles will fit under my cj will someone confirm this for me. The axles are out of a 75 international scout it has a 4 cyl. and a 3 speed trans. The fellow that is selling it says that both axles are pos. traction. And that the front axles has lockable hubs. I think these are dana 44 (havent seen them yet) did dana 44 come in this year scout and were they pos. traction from the factory? also will they fit under my cj-7 (are they the same width as my axles) are they disk up front? and is the pumpkin on the pas. side. The fellow only wants 1000.00 for this rig and he said it drives fine. I was just wanting to know if this set-up will work before i drive 50 miles to look at this stuff! Thanks for the help

84CJ7/304/AUTO.904/DANA300/35'S ALLWAYS TIME TO PLAY!!!

#2 ·
The axles are dana 44's and are wider than your widetracks. the rear is 4" total wider; this is what I am swapping to; it's an easy swap, you just have to cut off the old spring perches and weld in new ones. also will have to deal with shock mounts. The front is a passenger drop, and it's width is a bit more problematic. If you take the axle, line up the pumpkin with your dana 30, you will notice that the long side of the scout sticks out about three inches too far. There are two solutions to this problem; one would be to center the axle under your jeep, fabricate new mounts for the spring hangers outboard of your frame, and bolt it in. The second solution is to cut down the long side of the axle and axle shaft app. 3 inches or so to make it fit. One other problem with the scout front is that it has 0 degrees of caster built into it. A better choice might be a Waggonneer 44. You have the same problems (choose to cut it, or outboard the springs) but at least this axle has some caster built in to it. Around here scout axles are about $125 or less, Waggies can be had for $175 or less.

Max

82 CJ, some stuff stock, some stuff not
Have you hugged your Jeep today?
http://members.fortunecity.com/patrol14/index.html

G
#3 ·
Thanks for the info on this. In this case i think ill wait, ive also found an 86 cj-7 with no motor for 1000.00 it has a dana 44. I could swap it for my axle and then resale the jeep for 1000.00 and not lose anything. I think that i will try to find a 8.8 or see what the price on one of these is .

84CJ7/304/AUTO.904/DANA300/35'S ALLWAYS TIME TO PLAY!!!

#4 ·
I'm running Scout axles, NO WAY I'd pay $1,000 for just the axles, and the rig would have to be in damn fine shape for me to buy it for that price. Heck, I have one I'm selling, 304, TF727, and 3.54 axles, runs great, for $200. Body isn't that bad either, guy looking to buy it is going to put it back on the road. Good move on the '86, snag it.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!

#5 ·
I'm running the Scout axles too. I think jeep should have put in axles this wide in jeeps to start with. I love the extra stability! As far as the caster is concerened, it is not that hard to fix. I cut the ends off and rolled them back about 6 1/2 degrees. My jeep drives better than stock.

G
#6 ·
fixing the caster on the scout front is an easy but time consuming task. don't decide just on that. you might check and see what gear ratio it had. have the guy crawl underneath and there should be a tag on one of the diff cover bolts that has the ratio stamped in it. the 4cylinder might have 4.10's in it. $1000 is alot for stock axles but if it has the gears you want already in them that saves big money right there. you can part the rest of the scout out and make some of your $$$ back. i'd atlest go look and offer the guy what you would be willing to pay. you never know he might just take it. double check that it has a 44 front. i think i hear somewhere that they used dana30's in the 4 cylinder equipped scouts. i'm not sure this is true but check it out.

brian wilson
80 cj5 "high 5"
stretched to 100" wb
efi351w/np435/d300/d60fr/14br/detroits/4.56/38's

G
#7 ·
woah, whoa...
hang on a minute.
First off, if it's a 4cyl, it's definetly got a D30 in the front.
If it's a 4cyl, it's Mostlikely got 4.10 gears.
and lastly, if he says it's got FACTORY posi front and rear, he's lying. Make sure he put the posi in the front. the only vehicle to ever come with factory front Posi was the Early Bronco.

Sundowner

#8 ·
You obviously don't know a lot about Scouts, and please fill out your profile.

Yes, the '75 model year does have FACTORY D44's front and rear. It wasn't offered any other way. No D30's.

The 4 cyls did not have D30 front's after '74, and the front axle size was not dependent of engine size. I have two 4 cyl's at home and an 8 cyl.

Scout did have a front Power Locked axle from the factory, and it was only offered in the D30.

The 4.10 gears were an OPTION, to be had with ANY engine, it was not engine dependent like the jeeps.

Most likely the Scout is not a '75, but maybe a '65, when these things would have been standard from the factory. Go to http:// http://www.binderbulletin.org/faq/15.htm#6 to check out how to identify them.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.