Pilot bushing too small!! Now what? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2001, 04:00 PM Thread Starter

Pilot bushing too small!! Now what?

I replaced the pilot bushing in my jeep, and now the clutch alignment tool wont fit! The bushing fit fine over the input shaft of my t18, but now that it's installed I don't think it will. I measured the id on the bushing and it was .665, and the input shaft measures .666. This is on a '77 cj5, with a t18 out of a '77 cj7. My old pilot bushing had a ton of slop in it when I slid it over the input shaft. What gives?

Lugnut 77 cj5
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2001, 04:20 PM

Re: Pilot bushing too small!! Now what?

Is it possible that the bushing compressed during installation. Are you sure you didn't (I don't know the appropriate word) fatten the bushing by wacking it during installation. It probally just flared a bit on the wacking edge. I would install another to be safe or just knock the allignment tool into it to stretch it out.

Pigpen
76 CJ5 360/T18A/Bronco gear D20/D30 big brake disc, locker/D44 big drum working on disc/ factory slip/4inch lift/33's/6000lb winch/All Fiberglass/electric fan/full cage/ appetite for MUD
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2001, 04:22 PM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] That's pretty unusual, but it COULD be slightly deformed from installation. Also....check the O.D. on that clutch tool. They are sometimes not very precise. If you need more clearance you can ream the bushing to size or use a rolled up piece of emery cloth in a rod and spin it with the drill. You can also use an old tranny input shaft to wallow out the bushing and get it back to size and shape.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

CJDave
Quadra-Tracs modified While-U-Wait by the crack moonguy[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Quadra-Trac Team.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2001, 05:11 PM

if the trannys input shaft will fit inside the bushing now that its installed, but the alihgnment tool wont, then I would work on teh ailaignment tool and not the bushing.

its hard to think .001 will keep the tool out of it?

Id bet you kicked up a burr or knick on it and thats holding you up

OzarkJeep

"If thats the way that you want it, well thats the way I want it more..."
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-15-2001, 02:53 AM

As my friend the mechanic put it after my tranny wouldn't go back in..."You were a little too agressive when you hammer that sucker in."

Who ME?????
I used a mallot to hammer it in, but I guess I just hit it too hard. We had to use a little grinder to make it fit. The bushing fit fine over the input shaft and alignment tool origonaly, so I know it got mis-shapen at some point during the install.

What did you use to put it in with?

Just try like Dave said and grind it out a bit.

Sean

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode