Oldsmobile in a Jeep? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2001, 02:10 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Oldsmobile in a Jeep?

The post on 360 vs. 258 got me thinking about this. About 7 or 8 years ago I built a 350 Olds in a Cutlass that had a phenomenal amount of bottom end (would break the tires loose big time when it hit second with the Turbo 350 trans with shift kit), seemed to have more than say a Chevy, but didn't rev as much. The 350, or for that matter 455 (260-455 virtually same motor, kinda like AMC!) would really make a good 4by motor, but I've never heard of anyone doing this. Just wondering if anyone else has seen one or heard of one.

Brad
ORC Land Use Section Editor
http://www.off-road.com/land
Vice-Pres. Rock Garden 4 Wheelers, Farmington, NM
http://rockgarden.rockcrawler.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2001, 02:43 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Oldsmobile in a Jeep?

Rode in a 455 Olds once, it will sure put a smile on your face. I can see what you mean about the torque, it really is phenominal low end. Not sure if a 4 wheeler would want to spend the amount of cash to get one of those motors like the way they would want it. They can be pretty pricey to obtain, let alone build.

Jason

<font color=green>----------------</font color=green>
<font color=green>[]llll[] '90 YJ</font color=green>
<font color=green>"There are no shortcuts to any place worth going."-Anon.</font color=green>
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2001, 03:11 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Brad, Rick Pewe had a 455 in his '42 GPW.

Gary
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2001, 03:46 PM
Tim
Keyboard Implanted

As I recall, Rick has a Buick 455 and not an Olds 455. Buick's were known for their longer stroke, (which equals more low-end torque), and their lighter weight than the other GM mills. Downside of building anything that's not Chevy will be cost.

Tim
'66 Jeepster Commando w/Buick 252/4.1L V-6
'70 Wagoneer w/Buick 350 V-8
'76 Wagoneer w/AMC 401 V-8 (sold)
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2001, 04:04 PM

Check out the Full-size forum. They have been discussing swapping Buick 350s for 455 in thier older rigs

'Gator Chaser
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2001, 04:31 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I had the exact same setup in an 82 Cutlass after the kid I bought it from blew the 455 he had stuffed into it. That Olds 350 would get squirrely under full throttle shifting to 2nd. I liked the ability to swap the intake without having to remove the distributor. That is on wide and heavy intake though! The only drawback was the price & availability of parts. I'm no engine expert, but I would think that you could build the same low end torque into a Chevy 350 for lower cost with a proper cam setup and have zillions of brackets, adapters, etc. readily available to you.

Steve M
1976 CJ-7, 304, TH400, Q-Trac, 4:10's, 33x12.5 Goodyear MT's, blah, blah , blah...

"Heavy guns - Reach out and touch someone"
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9-334991-Cutlass.jpg (35.9 KB, 0 views)
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2001, 09:08 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hey-A fiend of mine just put in a Olds 455 in his 78 CJ7. And we had a few bugs to work out. The biggest one, you'll remeber, the EXHAUST manifolds as like a 350 come straight down out of the heads of the motor. We wanted a standard SSSSSSOOOOOOOO bad but had to go automatic because of the clutch linkage. And he didnt like the hydrolic clutch setup for some half-a**ed reason he made up. Hes got a new right rear tire and jeep tub floor after the rear driveshaft grenaded hard under him. He thought he got\picked up all the parts afterwards but is still missing some length when we tried to lay it all together just to see it. Not to mention you are probably going to need a shakle lift under the front of the 350 do to the added weight of the decreased bore, smaller intake/exhaust runners... you know what I mean.

MARK (OIIIIO) LANGMOTORSPORTS
1977/CJ7/GLASSTUB/460CIFORD/C6AUTO/4"LIFT/33'S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode