COLD, Not for REAL Jeeper - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2001, 12:49 PM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

COLD, Not for REAL Jeeper

JEEPN, After your little post, I just had to relay this little bit of info. I realize, cold is relevant. 30 degrees in August is cold, but this time of year, for us anyway, it is a heatwave. Yesterday, with temperatures in the mid 20 degrees BELOW zero range, I dropped my partner off from shooting, and his neighbor had a guest leaving for home. This individual was driving a CJ-7 without any top, and home was 160 miles away. My only hope is the guy made it.

Enjoying Montana's Big Sky & Snow(Skiing that is)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2001, 02:06 PM
I Do This For The Glory

Re: COLD, Not for REAL Jeeper

I've driven like 20 to 30 miles with no top, but never that far. Man, that's just insane. We do occasionally get people that come to the club rides (in Maine) that drive their jeep topless from Vermont, and at this time of year. Not me, I like to think I know better, although when I was younger I was foolish, rode my motorcyle to high school every day it wasn't snowing. I left one morning at about -10 F and decided to see how cold I could get. I was wearing the classic leather jacket, scarf (I know, a wimp), and a full face motorcross helmet, so there was only the screen in front of my face, and my glasses. I did 95 all the way there, which was the bike's top speed (GT 750-built for torque, not speed).

Using the wind chill formula (I love math, how many people have ever seen this!) WC = 0.0817(3.71(V^0.5) + 5.81 -0.25V)(T - 91.4) + 91.4, where V is the wind speed, WC is the wind chill temperature, and T is the ambient temperature.

So I managed to get down to about -60 degrees below zero, kinda depressing, I was hoping for triple digits. The anti-freeze in the bike did gel up on me though, and started smoking heavily, I limped it to school and shut it down, luckily it sustained no damage. The temperature gauge was pinned on "H". My glasses were frozen to my face, couldn't get them off for about 10 minutes, and of course they fogged over when I entered the building. Kinda felt stupid sitting there with the helmet on, unable to see. Aaah, the good old glory days, I'm glad I know better now.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2001, 02:58 PM
Can't Get Enough

OK, now...., if we go to the other end of the spectrum... here in Texas the summers are hell, (example: last year the hottest in history it got up to 119 at my house a couple of times), and yes I know you guys in Arizona have that beat, but anything above about 110 is hot no matter what, plus we have the humidity. Now try crawling around in attics like I used to do when I was a teenager installing cables for alarms, cable Tv, etc. With the Relative Humidity at an average here of about 75% and the 105 and up temperatures the heat index is incredible. I never actually sat down and figured it out, but the temperaturs in the attics ranged from 135 and up. I can tell you that there are many times that I would have preferred the cold .

82 Scrambler, 360, T5, D300, 4" lift, AMC20 (rear disc brakes) and Dana30 with 3:73's and lockers.
Smithville, Texas
Member TX4X4 Cyber Club
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2001, 03:08 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

There is a line somewhere between tough and just plain stupid. I think the guy you are talking about crossed way over that line! [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

Brad
ORC Land Use Section Editor
http://www.off-road.com/land
Vice-Pres. Rock Garden 4 Wheelers, Farmington, NM
http://rockgarden.rockcrawler.com
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2001, 06:20 PM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

JEEPN:

There is this guy that every day at 4:00 PM he drives by on some old 60's bike. Even when it is snowing like crazy, he drives by. The roads around here have been very icy for the past several months, and that dosn't seem to deter him. But then, I work with guys that insist on Mtn. biking every day in the same conditions. They follow what ever road has been driven on. Many have broken noses, collarbones, etc. to prove it. Such foolishness!

Enjoying Montana's Big Sky & Snow(Skiing that is)
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2001, 07:29 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

It really wouldn't be that bad if you think about it. How do you think snowbobilers deal with it? Dressed properly, I can ride a snomo all day long, even if it's -20 out. And I've reached speeds in excess of 100MPH(although average speed is more like 50 or 60MPH).

post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2001, 11:23 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Working through this winter in Southern CA - people put COATS on at 50-55* Two winters ago was we were in the MIN/St.Paul area of MN. People there button the top of their flannel shirts at 5-10* Guess a lot of it is just what YOU are used to. Us'ens in TX have both bad heat -everwhere - and pretty durn cold up around Amarillo in the panhandle.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-15-2001, 07:52 AM
I Do This For The Glory

It takes me a little while to become accustomed to the cold, but once I am, it's not a problem. I was platoon leader down at Ft. Polk, LA for awhile back in July-August '91, and it was HOT! We had 3 people have heart attacks in the morning due to the heat, and the ambulance crews had to be in their rigs with the engine running from 6-7AM. We trained at night (Combat Engineers) on the only alligator infested lake around, because it was the only time it ever got below 90 degrees. Man that sucked, always drenched in sweat. That and there is always a few whiners out there who refuse to work due to the heat. It was hard and it sucked, but I (and the others) got through it. How do you people in the DEEP south cope with all the heat? At least it warms up occasionally in the north so it's not cold all the time. All in all, I'd rather have the cold I think, maybe I'm just a wimp.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-15-2001, 08:08 AM
Can't Get Enough

You don't have a choice but to deal with it [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]. Either that or move... When its 115 outside, you just don't do much outside, but if you do, you drink lots of water and rest frequently (in the shade) [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]. It does come down to what you are accustomed to. Last year during the 115 degree heat it was amazing that when we hit 100 degree days we were ecstatic that a cool front came through (people out running around, enjoying the cool weather)[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]. Just like you guys in the north getting used to the cold, we kinda get used to the heat, it is tough in a Jeep with no A/C though,, feels like your driving in a blast furnace.

82 Scrambler, 360, T5, D300, 4" lift, AMC20 (rear disc brakes) and Dana30 with 3:73's and lockers.
Smithville, Texas
Member TX4X4 Cyber Club
post #10 of (permalink) Old 02-15-2001, 08:23 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Sounds kinda like the stories my buddy used to tell. They where down in Antartica for Operation Deep Freeze. Any ways He said they would pick a hut and light off all the heaters in it to get the temp up to about 98-100 strip down to their skivvies and and get a nice sweat going, Throw the door open and run outside to the next hut or something and back. Only problem he had with it was the -100 degree weather outside. so you would have this 200 degree tempeture change.

Now thats drastic. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

John
Damn the Mud!! Full speed ahead!!!
http://www.Marylandmudbugs.com

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode