advice on mods - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2001, 11:56 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

advice on mods

I am looking for advice on my next mod. I have a 01 tj, 5spd, 6cyl, dana 44, 3.73 gears, the only mod at this piont is a winch.

I am wanting to lift and put on larger tires. I am moving to CA about 40 miles north of Barstow (desert). I am wanting to set up my jeep for out there. I currently live in TN (mud).

I will be doing some freeway driving (any where from 50 to 300 miles for weekend adventures).

I also will be off roading as much as possilbe.

Another question? my winch calls for a min of a 650 amp batt, mine is 600 amp. If I winch with the engine running is this a problem?

Thanks for your help,
Ross

2001 TJ Sport, warn winch
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2001, 12:15 PM
FlMudCJ

Re: advice on mods

The only mod you should do is the one you want. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

It sounds like you already have a capable jeep, and the winch is a great start to an unstopable rig. Being in that area of the country you'll want a full rollcage soon. Most suggestions on this BBS are for saftey, then function, then flash.

Most of us don't get to the flash.

For the TJ, I've heard good things on the teraflex lift, you can combine that with a 1" body lift to get 33's, maybe 35's. Pick a tire, any tire. Most people like the BFG m/t for an all around good tire, street/trail.

As for the winch, it shouldn't too big of a problem, although if the engine dies don't expect to get a long pull out of the battery. Upgrading to a larger / multiple batteries are a good way to add redundancy as well as capasity. Optima's seem to be a good choice.

Pick up a magasine, see what other people are doing, throw it out the window and figure out how you can do it better, then share it with us. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

'77 CJ-5: 304/T-150/D-20 F-D44 R-9" Power 4 wheel disk, 36X12.5 swampers
bigmudtire
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode