Advice needed ..Brake pedal pushes up when turning - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2001, 10:22 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Advice needed ..Brake pedal pushes up when turning

Question:

Bought an 88 Yj with 3 " Body lift, add a leafs and 33's. Puting it in good order and the brakes are a bit soft. When I turn the steering the brake pedal pushes up?? Is there a vacuum driven steering and brake issue? Anybody seen this?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2001, 10:47 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Advice needed ..Brake pedal pushes up when turning

Does it do it turning only one direction? The only link between the two systems is the wheels. My first thougth is that the caliper slide/slides are frozen. Turning with big meats is causing the rotor to push (maybe due to worn bearings) against the caliper compressing the piston and forcing brake fluid back to the master cylinder.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2001, 12:04 PM
FlMudCJ

My experinece with YJ's is that the brakes are unbelieveably soft. I've driven a few and that just seems to be universal. Check the condition of the rear pads and adjusters, they control your petal height. The explination of worn bearings in the front hubs is good, I can't confirm it, but it sounds good. Do a good and thorugh brake job, pulling, cleaning, inspecting everything. Also dran, flush and completly bleed all of the brake lines, its a bad habit to leave the old fluid in there and brake fluid does go bad.

'77 CJ-5: 304/T-150/D-20 F-D44 R-9" Power 4 wheel disk, 36X12.5 swampers
bigmudtire
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-15-2001, 05:26 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Sounds like something is pushing in on your caliper. Try checking your calipers tightness and the its mounting position as well as your wheel bearings.

Dont sweat the petty stuff and dont pet the sweaty stuff
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-15-2001, 11:42 PM
jeepfiend

If the YJ's are like the XJ, and I think they are, the front bearings are a sealed unit. I have had these get sloppy, affecting the endplay of the wheel. Usually you will hear them grinding or making strange noises when you turn. I have seen them go bad quietly though. The 33's put a lot of force on this bearing, and I wouldn't be suprised if it is flexing the bearing assembly, or has caused it to wear out prematurely. I would recommend changing to a regular spindle setup. I know it is a little costly, but with 33's it is well worth it. The manufacturers never seem to think about future upgrades, which is silly with a vehicle like the jeep. You might even consider looking for a D44 to swap in. Whatever you do, it is a good idea to get rid of the disconnect front axle, and go to a set of locking hubs. At any rate, I would jack up the Jeep and see if the front tires move when you push sideways at the top. You prpbably need new bearings in the front. I haven't owned a Jeep with that set-up without having to replace those crummy bearings, especially when I increased tire size over stock. If your rims have less backspacing than the stock wheels, this also greatly multiplies the force seen at the bearing. Again, regular spindles will greatly enhance the front end of your Jeep.
Jeepfiend

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode