Need urgent help with D30 axle! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2001, 08:18 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

Need urgent help with D30 axle!

What's the easiest way to pull out driver side axle shaft on a Dana 30 disconnect front axle so I can remove the side gears? Do I need to remove calipers and rotors or will it come out just by removing 3 hub retaining bolts (12 point, grrr). Thanks a lot!

'91 YJ, I-6, 2.5" lift, sway bar is in the trash, Currie Boomerang shackles, 31 Michelins, D30 front, D35c with Lock-Right and a light foot
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2001, 03:21 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Re: Need urgent help with D30 axle!

39 lookers and not one idea. hmmm...

'91 YJ, I-6, 2.5" lift, sway bar is in the trash, Currie Boomerang shackles, 31 Michelins, D30 front, D35c with Lock-Right and a light foot
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2001, 07:36 PM
Old Hand

I'm pretty sure you remove the rotor, caliper, 3 12 point bolts, cotter pin, spindle nut, etc. I think you remove everything if I remember right.

-raymo
Scrambler
258 4.0 Head/MPI,NV4500,D300,4.10's,HS9500
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2001, 08:24 PM

Dont know if this will help but this is how to change a bearing on a front axle d30..

http://www.off-road.com/jeep/cheroke...2_feb/bearing/
Was on the jeep page of offroad.com

Short Wheelbase Message Board Members Pictures!http://www.geocities.com/swbjeep
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2001, 08:25 PM

hmm didnt notice that was for an xj..
sorry

Short Wheelbase Message Board Members Pictures!http://www.geocities.com/swbjeep
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2001, 09:35 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Thanks! I've now removed the caliper and the rotor. Also removed the 3 hub retainer bolts. I don't need to remove the spindle nut because I won't replace the hub. My problem now is that the hub won't come out. I don't know what to do. It should slide out now but it's stuck. I thought of maybe renting a BIG 3 jaw gear puller but I'll run out of time if I do that. I'd like to have it done by this Sundays club ride. I'm so close yet so far! What can I do?

post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-15-2001, 08:41 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

Anybody can help me how to pull the hub off? This is the last step I need! Thanks.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-15-2001, 11:10 AM
Old Hand

Are the lugs part of the hub? If so, you can put a wheel on, turn the nuts on loosely and pull the well hard letting it act like a slide hammer. Or, if you have a slide hammer, use that.

-raymo
Scrambler
258 4.0 Head/MPI,NV4500,D300,4.10's,HS9500
post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-15-2001, 10:29 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Well, I ended up using a chisel and a BFH between the hub and the knuckle. It came off. So did my knuckles. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img] I got the locker in and the hub back on and was almost done when I broke one of the caliper mounting bolts! [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif[/img] Now I gotta go to the dealership to get a replacement. Fortunately I could take out the broken part and didn't strip the hole in the knuckle. Tried using a 15-150 ft/lbs torque wrench to torque it to 30 lbs but the wrench didn't work right at that low a setting and there it went. Learned a lesson: use the right tool for the job! Anyway, thanks for the help guys now I'll be set for Sunday's wheeling in the red slimey gunk. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Locked up all around! Oh, by the way I didn't have to remove the axle nut, just pulled the whole shebang out a bit. Knowing what a b!ch it was to take that sucker apart I'll remove the other side hub too in the comfort of my garage so it'll loosen up. I don't want to have to deal with a rusted on hub out on the trail!

post #10 of (permalink) Old 02-15-2001, 11:53 PM
jeepfiend

Penetrating oil!!!! I have never been able to easily remove on of those crummy bearing assemblies. I always leave the hub on and bang on the thing with a large deadblow hammer. By the way, it is usually a good idea to replace the bearing after you pound on it. I have put them back on, and not had them go out immediately, but I am sure the races have a few dents in them. I would be very careful about the hammer and chisel approach. The chisel can put some sharp nicks in the parts in question. Those nicks are essentially the same as a crack, and can lead to premature failure. If you do put any dings in any of these parts, it is a good idea to smooth them out with a grinder or a file, especially if the ding is close to any high stress areas.
Cage Up, Wheels Down
Jeepfiend

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode