Chevy/Ford stock V8 specs? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2001, 08:09 AM Thread Starter

Chevy/Ford stock V8 specs?

I'm looking for a site that has factory specs for Chevy and Ford fuel injected V8 engines. Things like HP, Torque, etc. I seem to remember there being a good one for Chevy but I can't seem to find it.
If you think of anything good...post it.

'79 CJ-7
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2001, 06:26 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Chevy/Ford stock V8 specs?

Hey what do you need to know about the Fords? I pretty much deal in Fords, and could check my books for more info!

MARK (OIIIIO) LANGMOTORSPORTS
1977/CJ7/GLASSTUB/460CIFORD/C6AUTO/4"LIFT/33'S
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2001, 09:03 PM Thread Starter

Hey Mark,
I see you are in MA too. Basically I am going to be swapping out my tired 304 and want to go with a newer fuel injected engine. I was going to do the 5.0 HO Ford thing because I have found a ton of them fairly cheap around MA.
But recently I have also found some TBI and TPI chevy 305's and 350's. So basically I just wanted to compare output. And see which engine would work out best for me.
I actually don't need a whole lot more power than I have now so I was planning on keeping the engine pretty much stock for reliabilty. I plan on keeping my Jeep T-18 and buying an adapter for whatever engine I choose.
Got any FI'd 302 HO's or 351's laying around that you don't need?

'79 CJ-7
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2001, 09:34 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hey-Unfortunatly not bud. Im mostly all 385 series big block ford stuff-429 460. I just love the torque and hp of a big block; Any reason not to build the Chevy? There are a ton more parts out there for them(motor accessories, dress up kits, transmissions bolt up from 1955-199 , transfer cases galor...'sigh') I am a ford guy at heart but jeeps take the cake! The Fords do have(and you can talk to Crane cams, Comp cams and others) a tighter tolerances in there motors, which means they do have a higher probability of running for a long time with regular maintanence. Chevys will also; but after they are rebuilt there is a higher chance they will never spin a bearing. After they are professionally rebuilt the tolerances are to a much tighter degree than stock. That is the main reason Fords cost more than Chevys, not because there are more Chevys on the road. You are going to find people whos fathers mothers uncle had gotten a Ford from old Henry Ford and it ran like crap, and since than nobody in ther whole family has had a Ford since.
The 5.0HO will run you fine you can do the swap, than up-grade the motor later. You can get some substaintial numbers out of the motor but remember your not at the Le Mans and not pushing alot of air through the grill going 7 MPH up that rock. Keep it pretty stock for long life and durability. Do add like roller rockers, maybe upper lower intakes, mass air flow sensor(also mass airflow sensors 'mm' size is equal to a carburator 'cfm' size-650cfm=65mm mass airflow meter size) and definatly add a baffled oil pan to it if you can. This will aid in making sure that oil is kept at the pick up tube which is a request and suggestion to everyone out there! If you have anymore questions email me at [email protected]. Sorry to ramble on so long.(OIIIIO)

post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2001, 10:09 PM Thread Starter

I really have no preference....ford or chevy. What its going to come down to is the best engine I can get for the best price.
Does your shop have a website? If I do go with a ford engine you will probably be meeting me in person.

Thanks for the info!

'79 CJ-7
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2001, 10:34 PM

I am about to finish up a Ford 5.0 HO swap(hopefully this weekend). It is a very sweet swap. I am running an NP435 tranny, but the T18 was available behind the 302 in trucks, so may be a bolt up. I am running a NP 203 coupled to a Bronco D20 for the T cases. I like the 5.0 because of their fairly compact size, their good oiling properties and the fact that they run very cool. The 5.0 has a factory HP of around 250 HP, Im not sure about torque. It sure fits nicely in the engine bay.

Jeff
89 YJ
"Its Do or Dont Do, There is no Try"
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-15-2001, 08:25 AM Thread Starter

The Jeep T-18 is slightly different and requires an adapter between the ford bellhousing and tranny. I thought about getting a Ford T-18 but the adapter for the t-case costs twice as much as the engine to tranny adapter.
I am eagerly awaiting the results of your swap. My first choice was the 5.0 since they are very available around here. I think on another post you mentioned that you will be doing a writeup on it. If you want me to put that into a website let me know.

Thanks for the info!

'79 CJ-7
post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-16-2001, 09:52 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hey-Yes my shop does have a website. Its WWW.DISCPERF.COM. Its a ride but im willing to help. We mail around the world so if you come down once Ill mail you the rest of the time, if you want. Most everything in our shop is Chevy...but finally we got some Ford stuff in there! : )Email me at [email protected] to set up a time to get together

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode