What mods are next? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2001, 04:54 AM
hoosierjeep

What mods are next?

Well, I havent posted on this for a long time but I will get straight to the point...

I have a 95 YJ with an OME lift, one inch body lift, 32x11.50 BFG MTs, no sway bar, 4 banger..(oh yeah, it only has 28,000 miles on it) ......it doesnt sound like much, but I have been able to run some 3-4 runs in Tennessee and up here in Indiana (The Badlands). I am debating on what to do next:

I figure with the weak 4 banger I dont really need the axles since I really dont have evnough power to break what i have. Should I do them anyways?

Winch? TJ Flares? Basically I am just looking for suggestions on what I should do next, I know that everyone has their own opinions, but I am kind of lost right now...it runs good..It can wheel good.....

What should my next purchase be?

Thanks for any suggestions!
Brad

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2001, 05:01 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Location: Tualatin, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Milkyway Galaxy, Universe...

Re: What mods are next?

I personally don't think you'll have ANY problems pushing 32" tires with a 4 banger and stock axles. I've heard of people running 33" and 35" with stock axles and I6 and not having many problems. It's all a matter of how hard you drive it. You really don't have to worry though. I'd say look into maybe a rollcage. Safety first! Do you have a winch? Maybe a nice bumper/tire carrier combo? TJ flares would be nice. Maybe some body protection. Do you have the 4wd parts catolog yet? If not, pick one up and browse through it. Then pop back on here and let everyone know what you've found and we'll help sort through the stuff that should be done and the stuff that should wait to be done. Hope I've helped a little. Good luck!

"James and the Giant Jeep"
1993 Wrangler 4.0/5spd, Herculined Interior, D44s Soon
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2001, 09:37 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Safety and Self-Recovery should always come before power and ability. Remember, the more capable your Jeep is, the farther out you get stuck...

Chuck Hadley
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2001, 09:44 AM
I Do This For The Glory

I've run 33" Swampers with my 4 cyl, and can bake (or, maybe microwave) them in 2nd gear low range, in anything, so the 4 cyl is enough. I also know a lady running Q78's with her stock 4 cyl, on the stock running gear (with F/R ARB's). I think she's nuts, but she has money to burn (and frequently does), and beats the snot out of it.

I have spun one axle, but with traction, lower gearing, and a 2 piece axle, guess which breaks first?

I'd leave the axles alone, upgrade if you do the motor. The cage option is also my first choice, good call <font color=blue>jamgood96</font color=blue>. The next mod would be a winch, no doubt about it. I'd also suggest a Lockright for the rear only, it'll help a LOT in wheeling and is cheap. TJ flares? Do you need the clearance? If you're hitting, I'd swap, but otherwise leave them alone and get something functional not flashy.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2001, 10:11 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

the 4 bangers had 410 gears. i now a guy runnin 33x12.5 bfg mudders and he can smoke em. id go bigger tires and a locker in the rear for function. 4bangers aren't all that bad. there was just a good build up in the latest four wheeler mag. "more bang for your buck" tri county gear built a wicked yj rock crawler with a 170,000 miles on the 4 banger. they might not win a race on the boulevard but ya don't need speed when on the trail.

build it, break it, then build it better.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2001, 11:44 AM
I Do This For The Glory

<font color=blue>gotzook</font color=blue>, welcome back to the SWB BBS! Glad to see you over here.

He already has 32" tires, which are a decent size. If he goes to larger tires, he risks breaking one of the already weak (comparatively) axles and he'll have to upgrade his suspension to a larger one. I agree on the traction device, but safety and recovery should be first in my book. Remember, these things take a lot more to get out than a Zuki, we can't just lift them out of the mud and carry them to dry ground [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]!

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2001, 11:46 AM
I Do This For The Glory

OH, and what's up with your "title"? You have 190 posts, and according to the chart below, you should be a "member, not a "newbie".

0 stranger
25 newbie
50 journeyman
100 member
200 enthusiast
400 addict
700 old hand
1200 veteran
1600 Pooh-Bah
2500 Carpal Tunnel

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2001, 01:41 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

you are right about picking up the zuki jeepn[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]. i don't know whats up with my title? i was whining about it over on the zuk board. just noticed it today? i must be on some kinda probation or something? maybe i failed a test? all this time ive been on here i just figured how to jump to the jeep board. maybe thats why?

post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2001, 05:15 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

hoosierjeep, i sent ya back a private message.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode