Jeep delivered today!! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-13-2001, 11:57 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Jeep delivered today!!

Semi -car hauler pulled up in the street this morning - offloaded my CJ7 - WhoooHoooo - Now just a few dollars and I will be to all those places I have read about - Meanwhile - My wife is looking at me like I brought "Sally" the topless dancer home. She asked "how much do 2 lockers a d44 front and new gears cost? Is that in addition to the TF727 and that d300 thing you were talking about? Guys - HELP ME - What do I say now? I need some experienced advise from someone who has done this stuff before.
Signed
Cold Sandwich for dinner

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2001, 08:15 AM

Re: Jeep delivered today!!

I'm with ya, brother. My wife is "Jeep challenged", and while I hope to convert her one day, in the meantime there is a few tricks.
-Try like he!! to beat her home from work, so you can move the boxes UPS drops off into the garage before she sees them.
-Pay cash if possible; you don't have to write an amount in the checkbook and a charge won't show up on a credit card invoice.
-Don't leave reciepts laying around. It's better that she doesn't know all the details.
-Drivetrain direct sends invoices separate from the package. This is a bad thing. WIFE:"You said gears were only $150. ME:"Well, uh, I needed an install kit, and a new carrier, and they gave a real good price on the lockrite, and how's that ring I got you for Christmas working out?"
-Assemble a stash of pizza coupons, cuz them cold sandwiches get old after awhile.

One more thing - a little bit of grease really helps hold the pieces of the lockrite in place as you assemble it in the carrier case; but make sure you clean off the kitchen table really good when you finish the install. People eat off that thing, you know.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Max

82 CJ, some stuff stock, some stuff not
Have you hugged your Jeep today?
http://members.fortunecity.com/patrol14/index.html
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2001, 08:27 AM
Can't Get Enough

I've learned two things:

First, When you buy something for the Jeep, buy something for the wife. Doesn't have to be anything extravagant. Flowers sent to the office just because you love her [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Second and foremost, whine, whine like a baby to get what you want for the Jeep. Don't give in...just keep whining until she gets tired of hearing it and eventually she will let you get it just to make you shut up [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img].

Or you could just have a really cool wife like I got that lets me buy the stuff I need to get my 8 on the road...key word "need", always tell her you need it not that you just want it [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img].

82 Scrambler, 360, T5, D300, 4" lift, AMC20 (rear disc brakes) and Dana30 with 3:73's and lockers.
Smithville, Texas
Member TX4X4 Cyber Club
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2001, 08:45 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

When you get desperate, stop working on the Jeep for a couple of days and when the wife asks what's wrong: tell her you have been thinking about selling it and buying either an airplane or a cigar boat. she'll come around!!!!

83 CJ-7 TF-999, Original stock EVERYTHING when purchased. Now added leafs, shackles and shocks with new 33's. Still waiting for paint!!!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2001, 09:00 AM
I Do This For The Glory

<font color=blue>One more thing - a little bit of grease really helps hold the pieces of the lockrite in place as you assemble it in the carrier case; but make sure you clean off the kitchen table really good when you finish the install. People eat off that thing, you know.</font color=blue>

Actually, that is my indoor work bench. Get this, I was using the "No heat---cold!" routine on her, and bringing the parts inside, so she says, "Let's go get a heater". So I came home with a 100,000 btu salamander with thermostat (for a 1 car garage), and she asks if it'll be big enough, maybe I should have bought the larger one. Yep, I think they can be trained...either that or she's playing my own game against me, which is fine either way.

Just kidding, my wife is really great, and she supports my addiction. After all, it's not like I've got a sports car fetish or am collecting guns, or even worse, going out to bars and strip joints and wasting my money on booze. Every guy needs a hobby, mine just happens to be jeeps, mention that and I'm sure she'll understand. And also tell her you know jeeps are more expensive than doing drugs, but jeeps are legal.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2001, 09:27 AM
4xRonin

You have to get her involved. Then when you break down on the trail you have the opportune time to say things like "If I only had dana 60's this wouldn't have happened." Seriously, you got to get her involved.

Scott Whitmore
"Share your knowledge. It's a way to achieve immortality." Dalai Lama
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2001, 12:34 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I actually got my wife involved in wheeling when we were still dating in my chevy, and low and behold this last summer, she said "Lets buy a Jeep" and the rest is history. Get them involved and they will get the addiction just like you![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]Ain't nothin to it but to do it[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2001, 01:20 PM
Old Hand

If you have kids, it's easy.....every mod is in the name of safety.

Get her out on a trail run. My wife had never been four wheeling until last year. She drove on one of the trail runs at the Easter Jeep Safari. She didn't even hesitate going up Ken's Climb (which is a steep slick rock climb). I think she liked the attention she was getting for being so daring her first time out.

And finally, plant the seeds early. People will commit to things 6 months in the future because it isn't real. So, you say things like, "You wouldn't mind if I swapped out the axles to bigger and SAFER ones this spring would you?"

-raymo
Scrambler
258 4.0 Head/MPI,NV4500,D300,4.10's,HS9500
post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2001, 01:27 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Once again I see that this BBS is the MOST MONEY SAVING - TROUBLE AVOIDING thing that a newbie can possibly do. Whaqt a grear bunch of ideas. Thanks Guys! I have been lifted from my depression without even one BEER..

post #10 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2001, 01:43 PM
Keyboard Implanted

My Favorite:
"Don't you have something better to do than being a pest while I am [cleaning, working, talking on the phone]"
"No, I was planning on installing that locker this weekend, so I guess I have some free time" - accompanied with a forlorn look.
"Alright, go out and find the best deal, I guess it will keep you busy this weekend, and out of my hair the next"

Scott
'85 CJ7_(0|||0)_T.H.O.R.
[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]"Tantrums Happen Often during Repairs"
[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]"Totally Happy Off Road"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode