A Dana 44 for a 94 Wrangler YJ??help - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-13-2001, 09:06 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

A Dana 44 for a 94 Wrangler YJ??help

I have a 94 yj with the stock Rear Dana 35c. Running Swamper 33's it blows up just about every year. I was planning to do a 5.0V8 swap in about a year but my axle is going out a little sooner than I had hoped. I need info on putting a Dana 44 or Ford 9" into my jeep, on a budget. I checked Currie and Dynatrack and both run in the $3000-4000 range, which is a little more thin I got right now.. I have been thinking about putting a 44 from a 88 xj. It is susposed to be an exact fit except for the spring pads are on the wrong side. Anyone ever have any experience with this? I also haven't been able to find any custom shops in the bay area to cut one for me. I have some friends who have had this done, but not anywhere near san jose. If anyone has any help, please let me know. My 35 won't last much longer....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-13-2001, 09:21 PM

Re: A Dana 44 for a 94 Wrangler YJ??help

I'm sure some of the YJ guys will jump in here, but the axle that comes immediately to mind is the 8.8 out of a Ford Exploder. Stronger than the 44, very close to YJ width, you retain your bolt pattern and disc brakes to boot. Go to the search function on the top of the page. Search Short Wheelbase, All posts, phrase "Ford 8.8", return results 999 and you will get a bunch of information.

Max

82 CJ, some stuff stock, some stuff not
Have you hugged your Jeep today?
http://members.fortunecity.com/patrol14/index.html
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-13-2001, 09:55 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: A Dana 44 for a 94 Wrangler YJ??help

yeah, unless you are going to swap the front too the ford 8.8 from an explorer will be the way to go. it has the same wheel pattern as your dana30 frontend plus it'll have disc brakes. i'm not sure of the years to look for but if it has disc brakes then it is the one you want.

brian wilson
80 cj5 "high 5"
stretched to 100" wb
efi351w/np435/d300/d60fr/14br/detroits/4.56/38's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode