Engine likes to flood and run RICH starting - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-13-2001, 07:58 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Engine likes to flood and run RICH starting

I don't really drive my Jeep much, ok - I filled the gas tank up 3months ago, and haven't even run 1/2 a tank out yet! However I do start it and try to drive it around every week or two. I have recently replaced the carb. Carter and when the engine is cold, I pump the gas once, and turn it over. When it starts it seems to idle right around 1100 RPM, however if I make the mistake of giving it any gas it will die, unless I put my foot into it and then it looks like a diesel engine in the garage. After the engine warms up it runs fine.

I am thinking it has to do with the choke. Can you just replace the choke, and how much does it cost. It is hard to tell if the choke on the carb. is getting 12V.

Anyone???

J just
E mpty
E very
P ocket!!

'85 or is it a '98?? Cj-7 33x12x15" BFG 2.5" Rancho 258 T-176 Almost EVERYthing Rebuilt or Replaced
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2001, 06:23 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Engine likes to flood and run RICH starting

Hey-When you do not run a vehicle that much, and then just idle around your yard the deposits on the spark plugs are horrible. I assume you just drive it alittle bit which is not enough to let the motor warm up. The time in between the start-up to the warm-up phase the motor actually does condensate inside the entire block and exhaust. During that time the gas particles do not completely burn up, but collide with the water molecules inside the block, thus creating carbon buildup. You need to take the jeep for a run down the highway to clear it up a little. As for the cost of a new chock they all run around $14-$28. Dont do a tune-up untill you actually run the vehicle for the season. And also remember change your oil no matter which comes first!-3 MONTHS+3000 MILES. Oil seperates too 3 months is the rule and its CHEAP!

MARK (OIIIIO) LANGMOTORSPORTS
1977/CJ7/GLASSTUB/460CIFORD/C6AUTO/4"LIFT/33'S
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2001, 06:30 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Engine likes to flood and run RICH starting

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] There is a possibility that the fuel is pushing past the float valve from high fuel pressure. Are you running the three-port fuel filter?[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] As far as the choke goes, on many applications, the choke spring is heated by 12V IF the oil pressure switch is working and feeding current to it. So look at the switch to see if it has three poles. If so, that may be the problem. Checking the 12V at the choke when the ENGINE IS RUNNING would be a good place to start.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

CJDave
Quadra-Tracs modified While-U-Wait by the crack moonguy[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Quadra-Trac Team.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode