Should I buy '85 Wagoneer for parts??? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-13-2001, 07:16 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Should I buy \'85 Wagoneer for parts???

I have the opportunity to purchase an '85 Jeep Grand Wagoneer. It has a recently rebuilt 360 and a TF727 that needs a rebuild. I would probably take the engine, tranny, and rear axle and resell the rest. These parts would be the basis for my Scrambler drivetrain with the Dana 300 and minus a front D44. I can get the Wagon for around $600. It has many good parts in addition to the ones I need. Do you think it is worth it? How much will the TF727 rebuild cost?

Thanks,

http://home.off-road.com/~tom85cj7/home.htm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-13-2001, 08:48 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Should I buy \'85 Wagoneer for parts???

Tom, I am going to rebuild the TF727 myself soon. I am picking up an over-haul kit from MOPAR Performance for 139.00 and a shift kit for 29.99. I have been told the factory torque convertor from Crysler is very good so no need to worry about replacing it. The shifter is a little pricey..I am looking at the basic unit from B&M Racing. also a kick-down linkage is need from Lokar Performance.
Here is a good source for MOPAR Performance stuff. http://www.manciniracing.com

On a side note if you do not get it let me know..or if you do not want the tranny I will chip in on getting the truck so I could pull the tranny.
also may know someone right off who would want the drivers drop front axle.

Common sense is genius dressed in working clothes.
http://www.austinjeeper.com

post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-13-2001, 09:03 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Tom,
$600 sounds like a good price for the waggie if the motor is in good shape. You can sell the front 44 and use the money to buy a front 44 from a 79-older waggie to match the rear. I have had two 727's rebuilt by a tranny shop here in town and they only charged me $200.00 for a carry-in rebuild.
If you have trouble with the factory kickdown linkage hitting the firewall when you put it in the CJ, all you need to do is losen the body bolts at 1/4"(enough to jack up the body some) and move the tub back as far as you can, then bolt the thing back down, this should give you enough clearence so that the linkage dosen't hit the firewall.
Also, don't forget about taking the longer swaybar links from the waggie, they work great for a 4" suspension lift and can also be modified as a quick-disconnects.
Another thing to get is the front shock towers, they are just like the taller CJ style shock towers. And you can also use the master cylinder and brake booster, the master cylinder has a larger piston than those in a CJ and sure help stop those big meats from rolling.

Just something to think about.

Peanut

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-13-2001, 09:09 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

This is sounding good....

post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2001, 01:06 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

WOW Sounds like a great deal. With a rebuilt 360 you will be ahead. It cost about $700 to rebuild my 727 by a pro.

You can also sell alot of the Waggie's parts to Waggie lovers and easily recoup your $600 inital investment........I say go for it!!

'85 CJ-7/360/727/D300 w/Currie Twin Stick and TeraLow 4-1 kit,Dana 44/30 w/4.56 and Detroits,SSR 35's,York AC onboard air and the TR ignition upgrade
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2001, 03:27 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Hey did you spend $750 for the rebuild with the tranny in the Jeep? Or did you pull it and take it in? The current owner says the tranny slips or doesn't fully engage, I am assuming a rebuild is necessary. I will know more when I have checked it out.

Later,

post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2001, 04:09 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Tom I am telling you I have access to the press and all the necessary manuals for rebuilding the 727. I have talked to several guys who have done this rebuild. I have been told it is a very simple rebuild. Simpler than most autos.

Common sense is genius dressed in working clothes.
http://www.austinjeeper.com

post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2001, 05:22 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Well I will let you know what I find out. I am going to look at it later this week. If it is not a total piece of crap I will probably buy it. If not I will get with you on where it is. It belongs to a guy who works for me, he doesn't have it listed for sale anywhere.

Later,

post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2001, 05:47 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Perhaps this tranny's kickdown shifter linkage just needs an adjustment? Most Chilton/hayes manuals tell you how to do this....

I took my 727 tranny out and had it rebuilt, sounds like I got reamed compared to what others paid for a rebuild.....I also had a shift kit installed.

If the 360 in this Waggie is rebuilt with low miles you just saved yourself alot of $$ not needing to rebuild it.

If you would like to discuss further please mail me at [email protected]

'85 CJ-7/360/727/D300 w/Currie Twin Stick and TeraLow 4-1 kit,Dana 44/30 w/4.56 and Detroits,SSR 35's,York AC onboard air and the TR ignition upgrade
post #10 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2001, 06:18 PM

also, if its low on fluid of course it will slip, maybe you could fill it and it would work ok.

BUT it depends on how much they TRIED to drive while it was slippping, it doesnt take much to waste it, easts bands, and clutches FAST when the fluid is too low to pump enough clamping force on the friction stuff.

OzarkJeep

"If thats the way that you want it, well thats the way I want it more..."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode