Team Rush, Leve: Help with Resistor wiring - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-13-2001, 06:47 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Team Rush, Leve: Help with Resistor wiring

Hi,
Well, for the past few weeks, you may recall i have been dealing with my "Electrical Nightmare." I'll try to bring those old posts forward, after this post is up. I must be stupid, because after 2 saturday mornings staring at my wiring in the 10 degree weather, I still cannot figure out where the ballast resistor goes. I studied the TR upgrade wiring diagrams, and the Haynes wiring diagrams. So I spent a few hours, and traced all the wires, and drew up a wiring schematic of the present wiring set up. Please take a look at this and 1) tell me specifically where the ballast resistor goes, and if the rest of it is wired correctly. there are several differences in my wiring and what the other diagrams say. i feel that my problems could be solved by this.

thanks!!

Justin
www.geocities.com/jeepboyjus
'83 CJ-7, 258, TR ignition, headers, T5/D300, 3" suspension, 1" body, Moser 1 pce axles, Model 20, 3.54:1
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9-333952-ElectricalDiagramA.jpg (69.9 KB, 6 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-13-2001, 07:00 PM
FlMudCJ

Re: Team Rush, Leve: Help with Resistor wiring

First, for your education, the unknown thing the alternator plugs into is an external voltage regulator, which means you have the motorcraft alternator.

Secondly, the restistor goes in the (+) side of the coil. The red wire to the coil. The (-) side of the coil goes to the ignition module, and the (+) side comes from a 12V source in the run and start position.

'77 CJ-5: 304/T-150/D-20 F-D44 R-9" Power 4 wheel disk, 36X12.5 swampers
bigmudtire
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-13-2001, 07:21 PM

The ballast resistor on my Mallory distributor went in series with the +12V wire going to my coil, that wire goes to +12 when the ign switch is turned to ON. Or was it after my coil? shoot, too cold to go outside to check right now but I'm pretty sure it's in the wire going to the coil. In the instructions on that specific distributor it told me to measure the resistance from the ign wire to gnd and if was less that a xxx value, to place the ballast resistor inline. I believe the ballast resistor is actually there to reduce the CURRENT in the line, called a current limiting resistor. But yes, it is going to cause a voltage drop as well.

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] Big Ed
<font color=red>'88 YJ, 4" susp,3" body,35's,283 Chevy V8,TH350,4.11's,D30,D35c</font color=red>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-13-2001, 07:28 PM
FlMudCJ

Yes, the resistor does limit the current BY dropping the voltage, and thusly lets both the coil and the module live. The factory harness on duraspark jeeps does let a full a full 12v to the coil during cranking, but by TeamRush's own statement, it isn't nessecary, and frankly adds to the complexity of the harness. i've been running at 8Vdc (after resistor) for starting and running for several months now with no problems to report.

bigmudtire
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-13-2001, 07:38 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

thought i should add that this used to be a 4 cyl, many moons ago. the previous owner put the 258 in. so i dont know what he did to it.

Justin
'83 CJ-7, 258, TR ignition, headers, T5/D300, 3" suspension, 1" body, Moser 1 pce axles, Model 20, 3.54:1
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-13-2001, 07:49 PM
FlMudCJ

OOFFFFFF

K.

the 4cyl used a GM HEI Ignition system, so that 10ga wire in the harness was probably the voltage supply for the dist. I don't have any of my manuals handy, but that's probably the issue. It might be time to rip it out and start a new harness...

bigmudtire
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-13-2001, 07:53 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

FLmudCJ,
I dont think that is a voltage regulator for 2 reasons, 1. i have a brand new internal voltage regualtor alternator. 2. it isnt inline inbetween the alternator and the other electricals, ie; solenoid, and battery.

what do you think?

Justin
post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-13-2001, 09:17 PM
FlMudCJ

The voltage regulator has nothing to do with being inline with anything. All it does is sense the system voltage and then varry the field strength to raise or lower the alternator output. Mine is on the fenderwell below the battery and has 16-18ga wires running to it. It is definately NOT a high current device. Your probably thinking of a GENERATOR voltage regulator, which varies the current coming out of the generator directly, and must be able to handle the high current. An alternator doesn't use permanent magnets like a generator, it uses electromagnets to provide the magnitism. By varying the field, it varies the output.

By the way you have the wiring diagram, I'd say its externally regulated... IT COULD BE that the 258 swaped in was pre 78 and it uses the external regulator alternators. Since you didn't do the swap, its likely your making some assumptions about what you have... maybe?

bigmudtire
post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-13-2001, 11:05 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

FlMudCJ,
I am not trying to argue or disagree with you, i am just trying to clarify. What does your voltage regulator look like? could you decribe it? this thing is about 1.5" x 3/4" x 3/4", brown in color, has three blades on it, with a plug that has 3 receptors for the blades(maybe vice-versa), and is bolted to the fender via one of the solenoid mounting bolts.
The 5 alternators i have bought for it in the past, including the one i have now, have all been for an '83 258, which has the internal voltage regulator. what would happen if an internally regulated alternator had an external voltage regulator on top of it? BTW, the Motor is supposed to be an '83, that is what it said on the reciept (the previous owner saved all his reciepts, which i now have), and the head has an "83" stamped on it.

....Although the intake and exhaust system it came with are all stamped 1978.....hmmmm
hopefully just for the simplicity of the older intake.

Justin
post #10 of (permalink) Old 02-15-2001, 12:54 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Any other takes? this diagram may be confusing....lemme know if it is, and i'll try to revise it

Justin
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9-335581-ElectricalDiagramA.jpg (69.9 KB, 2 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode