problems with diagnostic - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-13-2001, 03:18 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

problems with diagnostic

Hello,
I am have been a Jeep owner for just over a year now, And I have had nothing but bad experiences with it. I Drive a 97 TJ (2.5L) and it has 94,000 km (Kanadian Miles). In one year I have had to:

1. Replace throttle position sensor
2. Replace Catalaytic Converter
3. Remove The cylinder head to replace a Stud that broke off in my exhaust manifold (plus all the work to drill and tap the old one out.)
4. And now my check engine light just came on AGAIN

Am I the only one with a lot of problems, Does anyone have any other major problem with semi-new jeeps
Also, Is there a way to do a self-diagnostic so I don't have to bring it to Jeep. I use to be able to do it on my old truck.
I don't mean to sound like a baby and I enjoy driving my jeep, but this is too much to take.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-13-2001, 03:37 PM
FlMudCJ

Re: problems

Welcome to the BBS. I'm sure that as an engineer, you can appreciate a thorough and complete description of the problem. If you notice your chosen subject, it leaves little to get the proper people to read your thread. Of the veichles represented here, one of the longest legacies of veichles, the latest and greatest are not paramount. That being said.

You can read the codes yourself from any chrystler computer by turning the key on and off three times in a row, then leaving the key in the on position. (don't go to the start position, just to on or run) The check engine light will start flashing in a code sequence. By using a factory technical service manual or other refrence you can decode this information in no time, revealing the problem so that you yourself can fix.

I'm sure somebody else on the board konws more about pulling codes, you can use a search function at the top of the post listing to do a complete search of past responses, I'd suggest "TJ diagnostic codes" then searching using AND, All posts, returning '999' posts (its a bug in the search, if you list 25 at a time, it only GIVES you 25).

Good luck.

'77 CJ-5: 304/T-150/D-20 F-D44 R-9" Power 4 wheel disk, 36X12.5 swampers
bigmudtire
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-13-2001, 03:40 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I can speak to the exhaust issue. The 2.5L engine is notorious for breaking rear exhaust manifold bolts. Jeep came out with a service bulletin regarding the issue, and actually extended the warranty to cover the problem. I believe the warranty was extended to 70,000 miles, or something like that. I think the catalytic converters were covered to around 85,000 miles.

When I had my 2.5L, I had the manifold bolt break three times, and the cat go out once.

BTW, Borla makes a great exhaust header for the 2.5L, if you'er thinking of avoiding the broken bolt in the future.

Good luck!

Hewgag

The wise eagle keeps his talons hidden!

Visit my 2000TJ "Hewgag" in BackCountry Trailers' Back Country Rigs section at http://www.backcountrytrailers.com/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-13-2001, 06:25 PM
Old Hand

If this helps, here are some codes (I think they apply to the newer '97 - 2001, but you might as well perform the test and see what code it gives you. It may make sense based on something you are experiencing. Do some searches on this board, ask questions (with descriptive titles) and you can do almost anything your Jeep needs: (I think these codes may have come from Jaffer's site to give him proper credit if that is where I got them)

Computer trouble codes

1991 on

Code Probable cause

11 Ignition

12 Battery disconnected in last 50 cycles

13 Manifold Absolute Pressure (MAP) sensor vacuum

14 Manifold Absolute Pressure (MAP) sensor electrical

15 Speed sensor or circuit

17 Engine running too cool

21 Oxygen sensor or circuit

22 Coolant temperature sensor or circuit

23 Air charge temperature

24 Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) sensor or circuit

25 Automatic Idle Speed (Al S) control

27 Fuel injector control

33 Air conditioning clutch relay

34 Speed control solenoid driver

35 Fan control relay

41 Alternator field

42 Automatic shutdown relay

43 Ignition coil Number 1-3 primary circuit; peak primary circuit current isn’t reached with maximum dwell time

44 Battery temperature sensor

45 Overdrive solenoid - open or shorted condition detected in overdrive

46 Battery over voltage

47 Battery under voltage

51 Oxygen sensor - lean condition indicated

52 Additive adaptive memory at lean limit.

36-63

Fuel Injection Diagnostic Manual

1991 on (continued)

Code Probable cause

52 Oxygen sensor - rich condition indicated

53 Internal engine controller fault

54 Crankshaft signal sync pick-up signal - no fuel sync signal during crankshaft rotation

54 No cam sync signal at PCM; open or shorted condition in cam sync signal circuit

55 End of self-diagnostic display

62 Emissions Maintenance Reminder (EM R) mileage accumulator

63 Controller failure EEPROM write denied

76 Fuel pump resistor bypass relay

-raymo
Scrambler
258 4.0 Head/MPI,NV4500,D300,4.10's,HS9500
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2001, 03:09 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: problems with diagnostic

Thanks Guys,

It was a code 31 (31 Bad evaporator purge solenoid circuit or driver) At least that what my manual said.
Now I just have to figure out what to fix. Also Is there a trick to get the light off after I have fixed my problem.

Thanks Agian
Not So Upset Anymore

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode