oil pressure gauge - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-13-2001, 02:11 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

oil pressure gauge

The oil pressure gauge on my 88 Wrangler is not working. It is either below 0 or sometimes it shoots up to above 80, but it never reads anywhere close to where it should be. I have another gauge from my wrecked 89 Wrangler, so I figure it shouldn't be that hard to switch. But if it is not the gauge, then I have no idea where to start from there. Anyone ever have a similar problem?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-13-2001, 02:16 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: oil pressure gauge

They have mechanical and electrical gauges. My guess is that you have an electrical and it sounds like you have a short somewhere. I think this would account for the varying signal your getting. Let me know if its not electrical.

'83 CJ7 258 i6 31x10.5 3in. lift? [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-13-2001, 02:37 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I think it is electrical, and I am assuming there is some kind of sending unit and the gauge, with wiring attaching the two. When I got the Jeep it was not taken care of very well, Almost all the electrical under the dash was tampered with (i had to replace most of it when I installed the radio), but that gauge did not work from the start. So It could easily be a short in the wire, but the only way to find out I guess would be to start taking the dash apart and follow the wiring. I was hoping to avoid that.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-13-2001, 04:46 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Don't know which engine you have but the sending unit on the I6 is between the coil and the fire wall on the passanger side of the block. It has one wire going to the top of it and it just unscrews from the block.

'88 Sahara, 4.2, auto.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-13-2001, 04:58 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Sorry about that, I just updated my profile to show my specs. Now that I know where the problem can possibly start and where it ends, its just a matter of checking everything. I'll start at my gauge, since I already have an extra, and then go from there. Does anyone know if the problem sounds like it could be the sending unit? I'll have to check all the wiring out, maybe it is just a loose wire. Thanks

'88 Wrangler 258 i6, bare bones (but not for long)
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-13-2001, 05:19 PM
Can't Get Enough

Check where Stooby said to and follow the wire as far up the wiring harness as you can. You will probably find a frayed wire or some insulation missing off of one of the wires. I just fixed mine yesterday, actually I just figured out where it WAS yesterday[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] and found some burnt insulation around the wiring. Mine was pegging itself above 80.
Good luck
Bryan

post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-13-2001, 07:34 PM

My 88 had an electrical oil pressure guage and sending unit, I had the 2.5L though. Never had any guage problems, I actually adapted the stock sending unit from the 2.5L to fit into my chevy V8, still working fine. My sending unit has one wire going to it and is about the size of a D cell batter, only slightly fatter and longer. I think that the sending unit varies the amount of resistance the guage sees w/ respect to ground. So without the wire hooked up to the sendind unit, you could measure the resistance from the terminal on the unit to chassis gnd. Then take this measurement again with the jeep running, have somebody hit the gas and see if the resistance is changing. If it's dead, the resistance will stay flat.
If you know the resistance range of the sending unit, you could put a R in that range between the wire coming from the guage and chassis and see if the guage registers it? Anyhow, good luck!
big ed

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] Big Ed
<font color=red>'88 YJ, 4" susp,3" body,35's,283 Chevy V8,TH350,4.11's,D30,D35c</font color=red>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode