what size to cut body mount rubber - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-13-2001, 11:15 AM
apetroski

what size to cut body mount rubber

I'm remounting a fiberglass body on my '79 cj7. what size should the first four body mounts be cut for a standard mount. has anyone used more to get an extra 1" of lift and how's it working? any other advice welcome.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-13-2001, 11:51 AM

Re: what size to cut body mount rubber

Kit says 2 inches for the first four. Which should be the 2 located at the front of the tub and 2 for the rear crossmember. Others cut to fit. Yes you can get a 1 inch lift by adding more. Compression usually eats about 1/2 inch on each donut. Watch your clutch linkage when doing more than the standard, you will have to lower the tub bracket to get it to line up correctly.
Good Luck

Pigpen
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2001, 01:21 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: what size to cut body mount rubber

apetroski,
when i replced my steel tub with a fiberglass one this last spring, i cut the first four mounts to 3" lengths. this meant i would have a 1" body lift, stock height uses 2" legths. and contrary to the previous post, you are supposed to cut the first 2 sets of mounts the same; meaning the mounts that are right under the firewall, and the next set right under the rear of the door opening. after you have cut and placed these four mounts, place the tub on the frame in the location it will be bolted. then measure the space between the rest of the mounts on the frame and the tub. add approx 1/4" for compression. then cut, squeeze 'em in, and your ready to bolt down. as for clutch linkage... you need not worry to much about a 1" body lift anything more, and adjstments will be necessary. if you have a hydraulic clutch, all the better, because you can then just buy a longer clutch hose, as i did. just watch out for the steering column joints binding.

Good luck. feel free to email me if you have anymore questions. i also have a write up on my website about tub swapping

Justin
www.geocities.com/jeepboyjus
'83 CJ-7, 258, TR ignition, headers, T5/D300, 3" suspension, 1" body, Moser 1 pce axles, Model 20, 3.54:1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode