Electrically challenged - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-13-2001, 09:28 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Electrically challenged

Well since itís about 8 degrees outside now and my CJ is stored for a long winter nap I thought I would try to work on the console Iíve been playing with. I need to figure out some resister formulas and I canít follow the basic electronics book I have. Do any of you know any good electronics hobby bbsís?
Thanks
p.s.- When Iím finished Iíll post the schematics.

'83 CJ7 258 i6 31x10.5 3in. lift? [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-13-2001, 10:31 AM

Re: Electrically challenged

go ahead and post your questions, others probably have the same questions on electrical issues. email me if you like,
big ed

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] Big Ed
<font color=red>'88 YJ, 4" susp,3" body,35's,283 Chevy V8,TH350,4.11's,D30,D35c</font color=red>
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-13-2001, 10:40 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

What are you having problems with exactly? If you have any questions, just drop me a line and I can give you a hand [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] I am an Electronics tech for the navy and am currently teaching Systems engineering at the Naval Academy (in other words I access to all of the Prof's and the people in my own community, probally a coupla thousand years of collective experience all together).

I do not know if these will help, I seem to always fall back on them when I forget things. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

http://www.tpub.com/neets/
Oh well good luck.

John
Damn the Mud!! Full speed ahead!!!
http://www.Marylandmudbugs.com

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-13-2001, 11:26 AM
I Do This For The Glory

<font color=blue>I am an Electronics tech for the navy and am currently teaching Systems engineering at the Naval Academy </font color=blue>

SQUID SQUID SQUID! Heh heh heh, do you know how many times we stole the goat? (Navy's mascot?) Oh what fun the rivalry was, I still have all my old BEAT NAVY paraphernalia. Working on a Navy Base is a little lax up here, no one gets into the spirit, kinda depressing.

USMA '92
Go Army, Beat Navy!

(All in good fun!)

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-13-2001, 11:35 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Yeah well you did ya know that "Bill" the goat originally belonged to the ARMY. Anyways we got a winning season this year (lost every game BUT the NAVY-army game)[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Boy ya shoulda seen the parties going on then [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

GO NAVY

John

post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-13-2001, 12:38 PM
I Do This For The Glory

Now that's what I'm talking about! Actually, Navy just assumed we owned the goat, we had it more than they did and it likes us better.

I have to say, that's one problem with Army, they always seem to screw up the A/N game, although I think the record is tied isn't it? Ah, no matter, I don't attend them, too far away and I don't know anyone down there anymore.

Thanks for the ribbing...all in good fun[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-13-2001, 01:47 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I should have known you guys could figure out any problem. Hereís the nuts and bolts of it. I would also like to learn the formula so I can plug different numbers and get correct info. I want to draw off the CJís 12 volts and use resisters to bring the voltage down to 3v and 6v (or any other voltage). I have been playing around with a 6v battery and I noticed I can bring it down to 5v with four 1k Ohm resistors. The odd thing is it doesnít seem to make a big difference between the 1k Ohm resistors and the 100 Ohm resistors. Any ideas?
Thanks

post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-13-2001, 03:08 PM
I Do This For The Glory

Sorry, I got us off track.

<font color=blue>What you're looking for is Ohm's Law (for DC current). The formula is:</font color=blue>

Current in Amps = Voltage (Volts)/Resistance (Ohms) = Power (Watts)/Voltage (Volts).

<font color=blue>Therefore by manipulating the equation, you can get different scenarios.</font color=blue>

Voltage = Current x Resistance
Voltage = Power/Current
Voltage = (Power x resistance)^0.5

Power = Current^2 x Resistance
Power = Voltage x Current
Power = Voltage^2 / Resistance

Resistance = Voltage/Current
Resistance = Power/Current

<font color=blue>You also asked about Resistors in series: </font color=blue>

Total resistance = Resistance1 + resistance2 + resistance3 + (you get the idea)

<font color=blue>Two resistors in parallel:</font color=blue>

Total Resistance = (resistance1 x resistance2)/(resistance1 + resistance2)

If you need any other formulas, I have a bunch of Physics links bookmarked, as well as many books of equations and data. Ask and ye shall receive.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-13-2001, 03:31 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

What are you trying to power with that 6v and 3v?
Have you thought about using a transformer with a tapoffs.
One of the big problems I have with using resistors to cause a voltage drop is Heat. Depending an the amount of current you put though them,you could possiblly burn the resistors up(or in Technical terms "let the smoke out")[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] and anything else in the area.
post your diagram and well try to give ya hand.

Whadda ya mean "lick test" the Maggie[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

John

post #10 of (permalink) Old 02-13-2001, 04:25 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

O.k. I know the theory but Iím not sure how I can put it into the real world. I made this spreadsheet to hold some of the formulas Iíve been playing with. One is Ohmís Law. Letís say I have a 6v battery and I want to bring it down with resistors to use a 3v light what type of resistors do I need? I attached a simple diagram, please feel free to draw on it and send it back.
Thanks for all the help.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode