Need new rims ..?! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-13-2001, 05:42 AM
Frank360

Need new rims ..?!

The axles from the J10 are a little wider than my yj's stock ones... and are 6 bolts instead of 5... I sold my 5 aluminium rims, and will need to buy new ones... I was told to use 15x8 instead of 15x10 that I had before since it is a bit wider.. the 15x8 aren't as offset as the 15x10(apparently)... Can I fit any size of tire on 15x8? I also saw rims with bead locks, should I consider this also.. would it hold a bigger tire better on my rim... or is there a perfect rim for my situation...??

A Jeep is a Jeep..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-13-2001, 06:58 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Need new rims ..?!

if you want your jeep to look just like it did, get the 15x10 rims.. these rims will accept almost any tire over 32x12.5.. i have even put 31x10.5 on them. the only reason you need beadlocks is if you air down below 5 psi on a regular basis

~~Elusive~~
[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]tj-7..tellico tested, uwharrie [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]safaried..1 ton drivetrain[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]..see it at http://www.jeepgod.net
oh yeah, and a 2000 tj,lift..etc
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-13-2001, 09:03 AM
Keyboard Implanted

I thought if you ran a narrower rim that you would be less likely to lose a bead. This would be regardless of whether or not you had beadlocks. Am I making this up? Can you run 35's on a 15x8?

Thanks,

http://home.off-road.com/~tom85cj7/home.htm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-13-2001, 11:45 PM
Frank360

ok, I had 15x10s, but won't they stick out too much, I mean I have BF 33x12.5, and they already had half of the tire outside the fender... and now with the axles from the j10, they will stick out even more, are there rims made to put the tire more pushed inside the fender... my old rims were 'offset' rims, was that the reason they stuck out more, would a >normal< 15x10 appear the same now than with the setup I had before (stock axles and offset 15x10)

A Jeep is a Jeep..
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2001, 12:00 AM

Alot of it will depend on the offset of the wheel. You will have no problems with that tire on an 8" and the tire will stay seated alittle better. You also stand less chance of damage (and getting sticks and other crap suck in the bead) to the rim(lip) because the tire is protecting it.

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
http://home1.gte.net/rythem/davescj7.htm
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2001, 02:36 AM
Frank360

True, I was always getting crap stuck insdide the bead.. Say if I plan someday on putting 35 or 38x15.5, will they fit on a 15x8... does it affect the size of tire I can put on, I just don't wan't to be limited....

A Jeep is a Jeep..
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2001, 10:40 PM

35/12.50's are getting tight. I wouldn't recomend going bigger, although some do run them bigger.(not very many)

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
http://home1.gte.net/rythem/davescj7.htm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode