If you're thinking about a Rochester Carb . . . - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-12-2001, 11:44 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

If you\'re thinking about a Rochester Carb . . .

First, I'd like to say a BIG thankyou to everyone on this BBS that's helped me with my "snort", the CJ7. If you're thinking about the Rochester 2G replacement for an old Carter that is on its way out, PLEASE DO IT, and do yourself a big favor! I just finished with the install, and I was amazed at the power my 258 has now, with a Rochester and TR upgrade.
Only connect the PCV valve hose, and the small hose from the distributer. (both are low on the back side of the Rochester carb.) Then just buy an assortment of vaccuum caps and plug all the other hoses. Makes for a much cleaner engine, IMHO. The throttle link can be a bit tricky, but I just used the attachment off the old carter - althought I hear there is a kit to do this right?
OK, I'm off the soap box, but was very impressed with this mod. Thanks again to all for the help and suggestions.

Jed Smith
'80 CJ7,258 w/TR,4" spring lift + 1" shackles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-13-2001, 08:54 PM

Re: If you\'re thinking about a Rochester Carb . . .

How does it idle? Any stumble at low speed if you drop the hammer? Also try some extreme angles and see how it does. I'm thinking about doing this same swap sometime.(i've got a new carter on it now)

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
http://home1.gte.net/rythem/davescj7.htm
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2001, 02:04 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I'm thinking about replacing my BBD also with a Roch. so I want to know what you think also. Where did you get yours? Was it new or from an junkyard?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2001, 03:32 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Well, I opted for the more expensive, Holley rebuilt Rochester 2G. Could have gotten a Champion cheaper, but I didn't want any problems. I bought it from Autozone, but some have said you could get it from O'reily's. The O'reily's store here could order it, but would have taken longer, so I went with Autozone. I just did like some advised me -- asked for the carb off an 1965 Chevy Impala, 283 V8.
I have been very impressed so far. Only had it on 3 days, but the power increase is amazing! Of course, this could be because my Carter was on its way out for months, making the Jeep slugish. The idle is good, I wouldn't say as good as EFI, but I never worry about letting my foot off the gas too fast, or killing it by slamming the throttle down. Hasn't died on me yet! So, seems like a good mod so far, I'll keep you posted on the long-term use.

Jed Smith
'80 CJ7,258 w/TR,4" spring lift + 1" shackles.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2001, 03:48 PM

What did it run you at Auto Zone? Did you use electric or manual choke? I'm planning this upgrade in the summer and want to find out more. Can you describe the throttle linkage adaption you did?

Thanks a bunch, glad to hear it works great

Sean

post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2001, 05:56 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I did a search on autozones web site and found a Rochester 2gv for a 1965 Impala 283 one was listed at 89.99 and the other at 119.99. Is this right?

If it is my jeep will not understand an upgrade for less than 150.00.

Lunatic
(O|||||||O)
My Jeep needs a second job[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2001, 06:23 PM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Sometimes it amazes me that stuff like that 2G will still outperform later model junk. That 2G goes back to the EARLY (late fifties) Chevy V8 days. That is practically the Stone Age. In the middle fifties, Ford was hung up on Holly carbs; Mopar used Carter; and GM used mostly Rochester. In 1960, after doing everything possible to try and make a Ford truck run decent and idle with some degree of smoothness for backing trailers, I finally drop kicked a nearly new Holly into the scrap pile and bolted up a greasy 2BBL Rochester straight off a Buick in the wrecking yard, and all of a sudden I had a truck![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] When you look at a carb that has to have two pages to get the whole exploded view in the parts manual, that's trouble! Too much crud to get right and keep right.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img] When it comes to four-bolt 2BBL carbs, there are a lot of them out there to pick from.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] Isn't it NICE when something works out so darn good? Reminds me of that Ferd truck![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

CJDave
Quadra-Tracs modified While-U-Wait by the crack moonguy[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Quadra-Trac Team.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode