Broken Bolt Removal? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-12-2001, 09:09 PM Thread Starter

Broken Bolt Removal?

I was checking the underside of the jeep and found that the steering box rear mounting bolt was missing. Upon further inspection I found that it was partially there, just snapped off clean. It looks like it snapped right at the bottom of the retained nut inside the frame. At this spot there is no access to the nutted end.

Any ideas for getting it out? I will try and drill it then remove with an EZ Out. I suspect that it is pretty well frozen though and this may prove futile.

BigHG
84 CJ7
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9-333035-brokenbolt.jpg (14.1 KB, 0 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-12-2001, 09:12 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Broken Bolt Removal?

well .... drill it out is the only thing I can say?

<font color=blue> Muddynut </font color=blue>
<font color=red>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] 78 CJ7 "Issues" </font color=red>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-12-2001, 09:24 PM
Keyboard Implanted

do you have access to a torch? if so.. heat that sucker up real good.. will loosen it up some.. then use an ez out.. another thing.. get a punch.. or something.. on the bolt.. and beat it real good with a BFH.. this will also help loosen up the bolt.. then drill and ez out it..

http://www.jeepgod.net

84 CJ-7 401/T-18/D20/D44/D60w/4.10&Detriots/YJ frame & tub/35x16x15 Boggers
<font color=orange>survival is instinct, but living takes guts</font color=orange>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-12-2001, 09:30 PM
I Do This For The Glory

I have tried a bunch of methods, and the one that worked was to drill out the bolt and re-tap it.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-12-2001, 09:41 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

As long as I can get to it with my welder, I've never failed by welding a lever arm to it and backing it out.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-12-2001, 10:47 PM Thread Starter

How solid is the nut mounted in there? I am worried that if I break it loose I will really be screwed! There does not seem to be any access at all unless I cut the front crossmember off.

BigHG
84 CJ7
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-12-2001, 10:51 PM
Keyboard Implanted

I am with jeepn on this one. Just drill to the correct size and retap.

80 cj7, 304, auto, 33" tsl swampers, 4" softride superlift, warn bellvue winch, custom front winch bumper
post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-12-2001, 10:58 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Soak the shi% out of it with WD40 or some other lubricant a couple times a day for three days. Find a center punch and just before you are ready to punch it lube it again then punch it right in the middle (hard!). What this does besides giving you a center to start drilling is it causes the threads to move a little bit allowing more lubricant into them. After that you get a bit that is about as big around as the divot you put in the bolt with your punch and drill it (go all the way through if possible) then get a bit one size bigger and repeat. and so on an so on. After about the fourth bit the bolt is usually free. If not but an easy out in it (square cut NOT spiral cut) and it should remove that way.

Dont sweat the petty stuff and dont pet the sweaty stuff
post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-12-2001, 11:37 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I used the Jeepgod approach. I heated that sucker real good and then used a punch and a BFH. That nut and the remains of the bolt flew off inside the frame. I used a bent coat hanger through the holes you see in your picture to move it to an opening I could get it out. The opening I am talking about is the angled opening back of the sway bar mount. I then taped a self tightening nut and washer together and put it in the same hole. Again I used the bent coat hanger to slide it down to the proper location. It works best if you stick the bent coat hanger in the center of the nut and washer until you get it over the sway bar mount bolts. I used the new bolt to raise the nut and washer up inside the frame. I stuck my little finger through a hole to hold the nut while I got it started. I tightened it as far as I could and then used the impact on it to get it tight. It was not really all that hard and took about 20 minutes.

Tom

The Missouri Mule
post #10 of (permalink) Old 02-13-2001, 12:36 AM

The posts above give a LOT of good advice!
Just remember that it's not a 'nut' in there ... just a pretty thin sleeve with thread on it's inside bore and if you tap it larger after any or all these suggestons you will then have a VERY thin 'nut' holding yer bracket.
Try to save the old thread sixe and don't go much past 40 ft. lbs. torque to reinstall a new grade 8 bolt.

JAF
http://www.monsterslayer.com/jeep
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode