I've ordered my tranny....... now what? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-12-2001, 08:48 PM Thread Starter
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

I\'ve ordered my tranny....... now what?

Ok.... I just got off of the phone. I ordered me a T56 six speed tranny to put between my 302 and my D300. Now.... how do I modify the tailhousing to fit my transfer case? I figure my existing tranny is a Tremec, the new tranny is a Tremec. I should be able to use the two tailhousings and make my own "adapter" to fit the tranny. I should be able to just cut the parts I need off of each tranny have them heliarched together, maybe a little JB weld to seal it up, and WHAMMO!! I'm on the trail with an over drive tranny!! Stay tuned for pics!!

So maybe I'm dreaming. But it does seem pretty straight forward to me. Anybody want to donate to product developement? Maybe I can get somebody to donate me a tranny....... a step in the right direction. Ha ha.... Sorry folks. I've just been reading too many Mustang/Camaro magazines lately. But this thought has been jammed into my melon pretty solid. So while I have y'all thinkin'..... anybody got any dims on this tranny (T56)? I was just wondering how much difference there is in size. I guess I wanna know if I'm in the ballpark or not. I'm guessing that for a CJ5 I don't have enough room. But a six speed would be enough to make me swap to a CJ7.

Just kicking some thoughts around.... sorry for the tease.

DREW
IN2DEEP <font color=red>78 CJ5</font color=red> <font color=blue>302 FORD </font color=blue> [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] <font color=red> T176/D300 REAR ARB 35" BFGS </font color=red>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-12-2001, 09:51 PM
I Do This For The Glory

Re: I\'ve ordered my tranny....... now what?

Please, pardon my ignorance, but what the he!! is a T56 tranny?

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-12-2001, 10:24 PM Thread Starter

A T56 tranny is a "double overdrive" six speed, that all the Hot rod mags are swapping into early model Mustangs/Camaros. I think it comes stock in a Corvette. I've even found an article on swapping it into a late model 'stang. It has awesome gears 2.97/2.07/1.43/1.00/0.80/0.62. The cost is $2350 per tranny, and there is a 4 month waiting list. It's pretty safely out of my reach. But it never hurts to dream, eh?

Drew

DREW
IN2DEEP <font color=red>78 CJ5</font color=red> <font color=blue>302 FORD </font color=blue> [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] <font color=red> T176/D300 REAR ARB 35" BFGS </font color=red>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-12-2001, 11:15 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

screw that i want one of the granny low six speeds used in soe of the trucks now!

brian wilson
80 cj5 "high 5"
stretched to 100" wb
efi351w/np435/d300/d60fr/14br/detroits/4.56/38's
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-12-2001, 11:32 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I hate to spoil your fun but off hand I can't think of a poorer gear arangement in a jeep. With a 2.97 low range in the trany, and stock 2.62 in your dana 300 and say 4.10 gears this gives you a crawl ratio of 32 to 1, and a high gear of 2.5. At 1500 rpm and your 35's you will be doing 62 mph this will be very hard no your engine to produce power at this speed. Another problem comes from the lenght. I have no knowledge of the length of the T56 but being a 6 speed it is likly very long. The cj5 has a hard enough time with drive line angles as is and is better for short trany's. If you want an over drive trany and are willing to spend the $$ and have a plan for dealing with steep drive line angles, I would recomend the NV4500. Which has a 6.34 low and a .73 over drive. giving a crawl ratio of 68 to 1, again assuming 4.10 gears. This is a much more jeep friendly crawl ratio.

Just my 2 cents but not my idea of a good swap.

bandhmo

post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-13-2001, 12:12 AM

How bout a T18A hooked to a D18 x-case with a Warn Overdrive in it? You can't get them any shorter than that!

Fritz

Jeep...need I say more?
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-13-2001, 01:32 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

IMHO, for the cost of that T-56, you could have a T-18 in your CJ and have LOTS of cash left over for other goodies.... The T-56 would be a good tranny if you wanted to do some very extended highway trips in your jeep, but for rockcrawling, no way.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-13-2001, 04:42 PM Thread Starter

My jeep really isn't a rockcrawler. Not much "rock" going on down here in SC. I was dreaming of the T56 because I figured it would allow me to run with much lower gearing, and still be able to hit the highway and travel. My Jeep is just one of the many that has a dual purpose. I am hoping to make it a daily driver again. I'm aiming for the NP435 swap in the future, but my racing buddy keeps sharing his magazines with me, and got my melon going. I was just dreaming out loud, hoping to "yank" you guys in the process.

OH WELL..... back to my (demented) dreams....

DREW
post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-13-2001, 06:55 PM
I Do This For The Glory

That might be a nice swap if you coupled it to the NP435 as well, imagine the possibilities!

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
post #10 of (permalink) Old 02-13-2001, 07:25 PM

that 6 speed would be awsome in a built 401 powered AMC car.

DEEP gears in teh rear ( like 4.56 or so) would make it quick as hell on the strip, but those top gears would still give it a good top speed, and ability to highway cruise.

but for $2300 you could always just buy 2 more cars for highway driving.

OzarkJeep

"If thats the way that you want it, well thats the way I want it more..."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode