YJ Transmission - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-12-2001, 02:32 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

YJ Transmission

My YJ Transmission will shortly be in need of repair. I plan to install a Centerforce Dual Friction clutch when I remove it, but have questtions regarding what to do with the trans.

Should I rebuild it, and if so, by whom?

Can I change the gear to a lower ratio when rebuilding?

Should I get one from a junkyard or buy a factory rebuild.

I use the Jeep for Real World four wheeling (i.e. hunting ,fishing, hard to access areas etc.. NOT serious rockcrawling.

Any help appreciated! Thanks!

P.S. I just put on a hard top and cannot open the rear hatch due to my O/S spare. Who makes a good extender/adapter? ( I tried turning the tire around, but the studs are too short)

Go hard or go home
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-12-2001, 02:35 PM

Re: YJ Transmission

Which tranny do you have? AX15, AX5, Puegeot?

John
95.5 YJ with "stuff"
94 GMC Z71 with less "stuff"
http://SonsofThunder4x4.com
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-12-2001, 02:52 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

My best guess is AX 15, as it is a 1992. It is hard to shift into second and I am getting shavings in the fluid. It has been this way for a while. I would like a bit lower ratio, as 5th is all but unusable except when on flat straightaways....

Go hard or go home
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-12-2001, 03:03 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

So you have the 4.0L I6? If so then yes you have the AX15, unless someone has switched it before you. It is a pretty decent tranny. If you have any ideas of going to larger tires than 33" then my advice is upgrade. Mine started going south with 33's, but many poeple have theirs live for years with 33" tires. But in my opinion 33" tires will be the upper limit for the AX15.

Jason

<font color=green>----------------</font color=green>
<font color=green>[]llll[] '90 YJ</font color=green>
<font color=green>"There are no shortcuts to any place worth going."-Anon.</font color=green>
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-12-2001, 03:22 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Yes, I figured about as much. I had 33's and now run 32x11.5s. Really the same performance on road. The tranny is original, I have owned it since new.

Go hard or go home
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-12-2001, 03:54 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

For future reference, spend about 10 min. and fill out your profile. It will save many of these questions.

As for switching to a lower gearset for the AX15. I honestly have not heard of anything. You will be venturing into unexplored territory, as far as I am concerned. You could try looking as some of the foreign vehicles to see if they had the AX15 transmission(Toyota, Nissan, Isuzu...I think one used the AX15, but can't recall which or what gear ratios were offered). This is about all the help I can give you here.

As far as a rebuild yourself, rebuild someone else, buy rebuild, junkyard buy w/ no rebuild question. The riskyest will be to buy a junkyard tranny and just hope is will last. But if you find a great deal, and don't have any question of the age/abuse that that tranny has went though then it may be a good deal(I just sold mine to someone for $50). If you have good mechanical skills and have rebuilt transmission before then you may want to save some $ and do it yourself. The next step would be to buy the rebuild kit and hire someone to do the rebuild for you(make sure that you are confident in their skills as well, & they give you a warrrenty). The most expensive, is to buy a rebuilt transmission. But you get it quicker, and most always have a warrenty. The decision will be yours.

One upgrade you might want to consider is to move to an external setup for you clutch slave cylinder as opposed to the troublesome internal setup that you currently have. For this you will need a junk bellhousing from a late YJ(don't recall when exactlythey swithed to the external setup, but '94 sticks in my mind, might want to go brouse the factory service manuals in your local Jeep dealership) or up to '99 TJ(before they swithched to the NV3500)or maybe some later manual XJ's, and all of the associated linkages. Make sure to go ahead and get new pressure plates and clutch stuff if you haven't recently. Doing this will give you much less clutch problems.

Jason

<font color=green>----------------</font color=green>
<font color=green>[]llll[] '90 YJ</font color=green>
<font color=green>"There are no shortcuts to any place worth going."-Anon.</font color=green>
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-12-2001, 04:39 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Updated Profile, thanks for all of the help. Good call on using the external slave cylinder, I blew one out while up north. Pain in the *ss! As for the gearing, just thought it might be cheaper than having to change both ends....

Go hard or go home
post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-12-2001, 04:50 PM

What kind of wheelin are you setting yor rig up for?
I would not suggest the Center Force II Clutches as your best option for a tough trail rig. They are designed to work best at high RPMs where as trail rig needs to be set up for lower RPMs. They also are not designed to be feathered very well, and even though you will get the feel for the touchy on or off engagement, they generate a lot of heat when being feathered and in some cases,(mine for one), they will melt them selves down. I would opt for a LUK or similar, unless you plan to set the drag racing world on fire with your YJ, thats what the Center Forces are best at.

Jeff
89 YJ
There is no "TRY", Just "DO" or "DONT DO"
post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-13-2001, 09:42 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Sounds like I will want to get a rebuild from a 94 or newer tranny to eliminate the slave cylinder problem as mentioned. I expect (hope) that this will be a direct replacement?

Go hard or go home
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode