welding question - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-12-2001, 12:26 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

welding question

I have a lincoln stick welder, and am wondering what type of rod I can use to weld spring perches on an axle for my SOA conversion. Also can any one point out some good welding books? I am just begginning this welding thing.
Thanks
Dan

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-12-2001, 02:10 PM

Re: welding question

hey, I'm in about the same stage of learning to weld, your profile says your a student might want to get in touch with a shop teacher, my school's doesn't even have a welder yet but a friend's school has an program where they build kit planes, his teacher has let me come in and start welding, find someone that has welded for ever they will be a big help. I think chiltons or haynes has a good welding manual, I havn't read either, just seen them.
Barrelroll

'95 YJ Totaled!
Now All I have is an insurance Claim

post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-12-2001, 02:27 PM
I Do This For The Glory

I have a good one at home, called the "Welder's Bible". It covers all types of welding and is a very good resource. You might also look in bookstores and welding stores for them.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-12-2001, 04:44 PM
cj7jeep

I am pretty sure i used 6013 rod on my buildup, will double check when i get home. I have read that 7018 is a good rod. Maybe CJDAVE will educate us.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-12-2001, 11:13 PM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] The 6013 is a good choice for rod. 7018 makes a purty weld, but it is not a good out-of-position rod and will not weld through crap like the 6013 will. 6013 in 1/8" diameter should be fine for your Lincoln.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] On our field rigs we used both 1/8" and 5/32" and had a divider in the rod pouch. Instead of having to get up on the truck and adjust the current control for hot weld or cold weld, we just changed rods. The 5/32" was a good rod for the first (Stringer) pass and the 1/8" would run hotter to do the second (Hot)pass, then back to 5/32" for the third (Cover) pass. That was for welding pipeline.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

CJDave
Quadra-Tracs modified While-U-Wait by the crack moonguy[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Quadra-Trac Team.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-12-2001, 11:54 PM
Keyboard Implanted

FAA manual AC43.13-1B/2A has a bunch of good info on the subject. On the off chance that any of ya'll have a copy laying around.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-13-2001, 09:26 AM
Can't Get Enough

I'm definitely no expert at welding, but I can say that you may want someone that is a welder to inspect your welds when you are finished. The spring perches are a critical support point and you want to make sure they are welded correctly. Just make sure both areas are well cleaned and are bare metal to make sure you get a good bead and adhesion. Good luck and let us know how it turns out...[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

82 Scrambler, 360, T5, D300, 4" lift, AMC20 (rear disc brakes) and Dana30 with 3:73's and lockers.
Smithville, Texas
Member TX4X4 Cyber Club
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode