Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups

Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups (https://forums.off-road.com/forum.php)
-   Jeep-Short Wheelbase (https://forums.off-road.com/jeep-short-wheelbase/)
-   -   Jeeping Without A Hat...."Jeep N" (https://forums.off-road.com/jeep-short-wheelbase/56868-jeeping-without-hat-%22jeep-n%22.html)

CJDave 02-12-2001 12:14 PM

Jeeping Without A Hat....\"Jeep N\"

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img] For those of you who may not know this, I spend my days looking through the view finder of a Pyroelectric Vidacon Television Camera. In simple terms that is an Infrared Video camera. I look at just about anything and everything that might give off heat, which is the vast majority of all objects, both animate and inanimate. One of the things I have noticed is that HUGE AMOUNTS OF HEAT are lost from the surface of people's heads; the less hair they have, the worse it is. In cold weather they look like a heat exchanger. They are exchanging body heat for the pleasure of knowing that in some teensy tiny way, THEY have warmed the atmosphere; at the expense of their own safety of course. COVER UP THOSE HEADS!!!!!!![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

CJDave
Quadra-Tracs modified While-U-Wait by the crack moonguy[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Quadra-Trac Team.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

JEEPN 02-12-2001 02:15 PM

Re: Jeeping Without A Hat....\"Jeep N\"

Hey, I think you're onto something, kill all the enviro's, they're contributing to the effect of global warming! And I was about to go on my anti-belching cow rampage. Thanks Dave, you just saved counteless herds of cows from an untimely death. Just trying to do my part for the environment.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!

H8monday 02-12-2001 02:55 PM

Oh how I know, it seems like there is less furry insulation up on top every year. Fortunately I have a thick layer of fat between my golf ball size brain and extra thick cranium, you know, much like Cro-Magnum man.

Jeff
89 YJ
There is no "TRY", Just "DO" or "DONT DO"

**DONOTDELETE** 02-12-2001 02:57 PM

Other places: wrists, hands, back of knees, groin area, feet. Hey I used to hike alot. You could cover these places alone and unless it was freezing temps., most of the time keep warm. All depending on what you use for insulation.

On insultating layers(these are geared more towards hiking so parden me)....Wool-great insulator, works when wet, very heavy, shrinks, stinks when wet, ichy when warm(although some $ verstions will not), not waterproof, heavy, pretty durable, flame retardant; Fleese-some are water resistant, realativly heavy when compared to other things out now, doesn't work well when saturated with water, not flame retardent(melts and hurts), not very durable(need nylon patches on high wear areas, pretty cheap now; down-good down will be pricy, compresses for storage, looses loft when comprssed, wind proof, water resistant(b/c of the manditory nylon that must be there to retain the down), the warmest when dry, I don't wear down at all b/c when wet it might as well not be there(and if it will rain anywhere, it will be when I go out in the woods), flame retardent(the shell ususlly isn't, but the down will not let it burn you most of the time, will at least allow you to get stuff off); pirmaloft-about the same $ as down(more than fleese), compresses well, doensn't loose loft, almost as warm as down, not flame retardant(will melt all the way thourgh), wind reistant(requires the same outside barriers as down), doesn't loose all of its effectiveness when wet(still will keep you pretty warm), if it is COLD then this is what I will be wearing.

These are my experiences from over 9 years of hiking in almost every region in the US(Applichain trail, Florida, Alabama, Tennessee & NC(Smokey Mtns.-I like one 2.5 mi. stretch in the southeast corrner near Lake Fontain finishing all), Utah(Zion Nat'l Park), Arizona(Grand Canyon-North and South Rim), California(all over), Colorado(all over), Wyoming(Yellowstone-pretty much every trail), Washingoton state, Montana(limited in glacier), Alberta , Canada.....and many more. Other people went home, I went out.

Keeping warm can make or break a trip.

Jason

<font color=green>----------------</font color=green>
<font color=green>[]llll[] '90 YJ</font color=green>
<font color=green>"There are no shortcuts to any place worth going."-Anon.</font color=green>

80cj 02-12-2001 06:39 PM

i was told that a high percentage of heat is lost through your eyes, so wear goggles. just what i was told.

shawn

"Fear causes hesitation and hesitation causes your worst fears to come true"

thorjeep 02-12-2001 07:10 PM

Old saying: If your feet (or hands) are cold, put on a hat.

If your hands/feet ae cold, you are losing heat somewhere, and your body is keeping the blood in the middle, so your innards don't freeze. It is an automatic reaction.
Ever wonder why your hands are still cold with gloves on? Check your heat loss.

Scott
'85 CJ7_(0|||0)_T.H.O.R.
[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]"Tantrums Happen Often during Repairs"
[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]"Totally Happy Off Road"