Getting serious/Transmission Drop - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-12-2001, 12:08 PM Thread Starter

Getting serious/Transmission Drop

OK, now that exam are about to wind down for a little bit, and I really want to make some progress, i need one or two last pointers.
I need to drop my transmission, and remove my drivetrain(not in that order) But am running into some problems. First off, I've got a 360 and a 3 speed trans, I think I found all the bolts that I need to remove. So here's what I need to know.
How do I remove the drivetrain, any pointers, or am I resorting to removing all screws and bolts in the area untill it gives.
How do I remove the trans, I've dropped an automatic out of my brothers camaro, just need the finer points for this, if there are any.
more pictures of this operatiion by the end of the week.

'74 CJ5/5.9L
Holley 4bbl double pumper 750 cfm /3spd/31"
not running
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-12-2001, 12:41 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Getting serious/Transmission Drop

Here it is generally:
1) remove front and rear driveshafts
2) put jackstand under motor at bellhousing
3) remove transmission skidplate
4) remove transfer case shifter and transmission shifter by removing cover plate at boot inside of Jeep
5) unplug all wires from transmission
6) support transmission on transmission jack (or use floor jack)
7) remove four bolts that connect trans to bell housing
8) slide trans and transfer case assembly back from bell housing and let down

'83 cj7
BDS 2-1/2 lift
solid rear axles
HEI, Weber (soon to be 360!!!)
ragtop
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-12-2001, 02:50 PM

One thing I found helps a little is to drain the tranny and transfer case before you drop them. It lightens them up a little bit. Every bit helps to me. I also think that next time I have to do it, the transfer case and tranny are coming apart. It is too unbalanced and awkward getting these guys to balance and stay put on the jack when they are together.

Sean

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-13-2001, 01:27 PM Thread Starter

Thank you for the input, i'll be doing that this weekend. I"ll have some pictures, and hopefully everything goes smooth....(yea right, this kind of stuff never does...)

'74 CJ5/5.9L
Holley 4bbl double pumper 750 cfm /3spd/31"
not running
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-13-2001, 08:16 PM

Veitcha,

I've found it easier to remove the transfer case from the transmission, and remove the transfer case first. Then remove the transmission. This is especially true if you don't have a transmission jack because the assembly of both units together is heavy and awkward. It ain't worth getting hurt or busting something.

Good luck.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-13-2001, 11:07 PM

I took off my hood and ran a 2X4 the legnth of the engine to support it with a chain from the two rear head studs (258)
# 1....I am glad I did this because a NP 435 on top of a trans jack is 20 something inches tall upright and not much less on its side ,that is pretty high to have to jack the jeep up to get it under the frame.
# 2....When I looked at the front of the engine tilted up and my fan was nearly through my radiator and I am sure if I had a lower portion of my fan shroud there i would most likley be replacing it as well as the fan.the 2X4 did help
# 3....When I took the old SR 4 out with the D300 attached it rolled on the trans jack,but didn't fall off because of the strap.but the offcenter weight of the D300 may cause problems if you are not prepared.this is another reason I was glad I supported the engine from the 2X4 cause I needed to jack it up then too because the 300 was touching the floor and the jack was still about 4 " up and would not go lower.

Ray
Learn to let go of what does not serve you ,but forces you to serve it
why does everyone ask if I am gonna paint it ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode