First Post and First Problem - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-12-2001, 09:22 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

First Post and First Problem

First of all, Hello to everyone. Glad to be part of the forum. I've been checking the forum for a couple of weeks now, and the posts have been a tremendous help with my '88 Wrangler. I just recently wrecked my 4 cyl '89 Wrangler, and got the '88 4.2 really cheap. But of course, with it came the problems....mostly idle problems and stalling a lot. So I decided to get the Weber carburator to start off with, and had a major installation problem. I don't know if it is the wrong carb, or just my limited knowledge of installing it. The carb is the "Redline/Weber Kit K551 for 258 amc/jeep inline 6 cyl w/carter 2bbl. carb". Now the problem. I unhooked the wiring harness, about half a dozen wires or so, and pulled it out of the carter...and it had two small posts sticking out of it about an inch and a half long. But the Weber has no place to mount the harness back on, and I can't imagine these wires don't do anything...so I am at a loss....and back on went my carter carb. I don't know if it is the wrong carb or if I am just bungling the job. I would appreciate any help anyone can offer. Thanks

Chris

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-12-2001, 09:48 AM
Can't Get Enough

Re: First Post and First Problem

Welcome, You will learn much here because the people here are really know Jeeps. Unfortunately I can't help you on the Weber issue because I don't have that carb or engine, but someone will chime in here in a minute or two with some help. You may try doing a search of the database as well using "weber" as a key word and see what you get.

82 Scrambler, 360, T5, D300, 4" lift, AMC20 (rear disc brakes) and Dana30 with 3:73's and lockers.
Smithville, Texas
Member TX4X4 Cyber Club
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-12-2001, 10:13 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I believe you are talking about the power to that stupid idle solenoid thing that on my Carter always seemed to have a mind of its own. Weber doesn't have it, thank goodness. Just tie it up out of the way. You will use the electrical connection for your choke, it is a spade type of connector on the side of the carb.

Brad
ORC Land Use Section Editor
http://www.off-road.com/land
Vice-Pres. Rock Garden 4 Wheelers, Farmington, NM
http://rockgarden.rockcrawler.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-12-2001, 11:34 AM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] I don't have that engine or carb either, but isn't there an upgrade called the "Nutter By-Pass" that goes along on the trip to Weberville.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

CJDave
Quadra-Tracs modified While-U-Wait by the crack moonguy[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Quadra-Trac Team.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-12-2001, 11:39 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

creeper is right those eletrical connectors do nothing on the weber since it isn't computer controlled. Tie em' out of the way and you're set.

84 cj7 Laredo Superior 1 piece, more to come.....
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-12-2001, 05:40 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Welcome! Check this out http://www.jps.net/~sanchez3/Weber/install/install.htm
I figured it all out on my own (err.. mostly), but this site would have saved me HOURS.

HALF, if not more, of the hose and wires are no longer used. Mine ran great right from the start. One thing: I'm about to do a post regarding high-altitude idle issues (running too rich). The upgrade is still great.

Use these sites to better your carter in the meantime, if you're holding off.
http://www.off-road.com/jeep/tech/258bbd/
http://www.off-road.com/jeep/tech/engine/carter.html

Good luck!

Sam88Jeep

'88 YJ, 4.2L, 32/36 Weber, Jacobs Ign.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-12-2001, 09:59 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I believe you are talking about the stepper motor on the back of the carter. It's use was to constantly adjust the mixture (lean, rich) as you drove. The weber doesn't have this because it is a normal carb[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]. Just unplug the harness and tie it out of the way. Put the motor with the 2 pins back onto the carter and bury it in the garage.
Hope this helps
also check out the 258 Primer article on this site, look at the engine tech section to find it.

'88 Sahara, 4.2, auto.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-13-2001, 07:58 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks for the info, I'll let you know how it goes after this weekend.

post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-26-2001, 08:42 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I finally got the Weber carb on, since this is the first weekend I didn't have to work in a while. The Jeep is running great now, hopefully it holds up. I put the carb on, and not even an hour later, two of my freeze plugs started leaking. I had antifreeze everywhere, and I couldn't figure out if I screwed something up when I put on the carb or what. So off came the intake and exhaust manifold. The exhaust manifold gasket was blown, so that was one reason the jeep was running bad. Then I noticed that a small 1 inch piece of my intake was broken off. No wonder the jeep felt like it was sputtering, it was only running on 5 cylinders. I called the guy who rebuilt the engine right before I bought it and argued with him for a while. He admitted he broke it putting it back on when he did the rebuild, but he said it wasn't that bad, so he didn't worry about it. He said he would fix it, I told him if he ever touched the Jeep again I would break his fingers. I couldn't find a replacement intake on a Sunday, so I started calling in the favors. Luckily, the races this Saturday were cancelled, so all my Sprint Car buddies were home looking at their nicely waxed cars and talking about next weeks race. I brought the intake over, and got the aluminum welded and filed. I didn't even know you could weld aluminum back together that clean. So everything is back on, at 9:00 pm last night. All it cost was 20 bucks for new freeze plugs, gaskets, and antifreeze, and a twelve pack for my welding friends. So far, all is well. The Jeep runs perfectly, even starts the first time. We'll see how long that lasts.

'88 Wrangler 258 i6, bare bones (but not for long)
post #10 of (permalink) Old 02-26-2001, 11:12 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

man those are some great friends to have around. all you have to do now is wait to return the favors, or pass them along. after all isn't that what makes this all work out?
happy wheeling!!!!

83 CJ-7 TF-999, Original stock EVERYTHING when purchased. Now added leafs, shackles and shocks with new 33's. Still waiting for paint!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode