YJ auto tranny leakage question, and others. - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-12-2001, 08:24 AM Thread Starter
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

YJ auto tranny leakage question, and others.

OK guys, 88 YJ, 4.2, stock auto tranny.

I got the motor's oil pan gasket replaced Saturday [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img], and then found where my tranny is leaking from. It's coming out right at the selector shaft that goes down vertically into the tranny on the driver's side.

Here are my questions:

1. Can I replace the seal on that shaft? Is it an o-ring or something like that? If you take the pan down, is it a simple remove-a-nut-take-the-shaft-out-replace-the-oring-replace-the-shaft?

2. Tranny has 207,000 on it about now. Runs great, doesn't slip, but makes a bit of noise in park when it's cold. Should I just take it to AAMCO or something like that to get a rebuild? What would I be looking at $ for that? $500? more?

3. Any good places that you guys would recommend? I'd be looking for a long-as-you-own-the-vehicle type warranty.

4. If I do go to get it rebuilt, what can I do to get it rebuilt stronger? People I've talked to just say "have extra discs put in" "have extra clutches put in." "it'll shift harder, but it'll be stronger..." Anyone got any input? What are the right questions to ask to see if the rebuilder guy knows his stuff?

Thanks as always,
Pete [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

88 YJ-retiring to trails soon
79 4WD F250-hauler/tower of my toys [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
70 Jaguar E-type - the best car England ever made. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
??? pavement-pounder for work/school - opinions wanted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-12-2001, 07:40 PM
jeeper446

Re: YJ auto tranny leakage question, and others.

Your in the same boat I am an 88 with a piece of crap peugeot tranny. There's a good section in the latest JP magazine. You should read it before you do any thing. The tranny is not worth a rebuild and is real expensive.Mine is not gone yet but I feel real lucky with 120 thou on it.

GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR 88

~FITTER~
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-12-2001, 08:52 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Do not listen to Jeeper446, he does not have the same transmission you have. You have either the TF 999 or TF 904. If the transmission is good, I would just have the leak fixed. To find a good shop, I would ask around and find out who has had a good experience, and which transmission shop.

I just went through this last week. It cost me $950.00. That is for a complete rebuild. New torque converter, gaskets, seals, sealing rings, lined and steel clutches, front and rear band, filter and bushings. I drove it to the shop, came back, and picked it up when finished. You could save some money removing the transmission, taking it to the shop, and putting it back in when complete. My Jeep is my daily and I could not afford to have it down long enough to do this myself. I need to buy a new daily driver. I would have liked to do the rebuild myself.

I had a shift kit put in, which I am very pleased with the performance of. I also had the breather line moved. I now have a nipple on the top of the transmission with a line attached running to the top of the firewall. I am putting an external transmission cooler on this weekend. I want this rebuild to last for a long time with that kind of money spent. I got some very good advice from Ozarkjeep, Leve, and some others on this board. There is so much help available on the board it is unbelievable what some of these people know.

The only problem I am having is some transmission fluid leaking. It goes back to the shop tomorrow to get this corrected. I got a 12-month warranty. Most places around here will not give a warranty for anything on a Jeep. They seem to think they are mistreated in some way. Those street Jeep's are the only ones I see being mistreated.

Look under my name and you can find all the post on this is the last two weeks. If you have any specific questions, I will try to answer them as best I can.

Tom

The Missouri Mule
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-12-2001, 09:06 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Look for the rebuild to cost between 900-1500... mine cost 1300 on my other jeep... My TH400 only cost me $600 and I knew the guy

<font color=blue> Muddynut </font color=blue>
<font color=red>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] 78 CJ7 "Issues" </font color=red>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode