77 304 v-8 w/prestolite, how to replace? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-12-2001, 12:19 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

77 304 v-8 w/prestolite, how to replace?

Yes, I know that ignition questions have been beaten to death. Yes, I know the TR system is higher performance than the HEI. Right now, the jeep is dead. The ignition is kaput. I want to replace it. I have searched a million posts on HEI and TR, and looked all over the internet, and cannot find the info I need. I have a 77 CJ5 with an AMC 304 v-8. It's got the stock Prestolite ignition system on it. I want to replace it with either a TR system or a HEI system. It really doesn't matter that much to me, I will gladly make either work...But I need instructions. I've read the TR instructions, and they aren't quite as complete as I'd like. I am a total ignition virgin and would like to have some complete instructions on how to changeover from prestolite to a different system. A writeup that's complete, and more importantly, applies to the prestolite ignition!!! I would greatly appreciate any help that anyone can provide. If I am repeating a post that I didn't find in my searches (a pet peeve of mine when others commit that sin), please alert me to the proper post. Thanks,
Dean

Moneyless, Will weld for jeep accessories.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-12-2001, 11:44 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: 77 304 v-8 w/prestolite, how to replace?

Surely someone can assist in this venture.

Moneyless, Will weld for jeep accessories.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-12-2001, 12:01 PM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] Excuse the impertinence oh Farms-With-Jeep, but it seems that your question has indeed been answered by none other than the great TeamRush himself. In one of his most recent and comprehensive posts he described the owners of Jeeps having the Prestolite ignition system as screwed beyond all recognition in not so many words. It seems that what you need to do here is implore the Jeep Buddies on the BBS to ship you a discarded but still worthy Motorcraft distributor, on which you can then work the miracle that is commonly known as the TR upgrade. I would also submit that you summarily dismiss any thoughts of a GM HEI from your head, and single-purposly go forward toward your goal of not only becoming something of an ignition pro, but also the owner of a Jeep in which the ignition system at long last sweeps out those dark, little-used corners of the combustion chambers; burning completely that last bit of old decayed dinosauer which you have purchased at great sacrifice at Lem's Super Service Gas N' Go. Having the TR upgrade will give you the pride that you need to dismiss any criticism, confront any enemy, and make your power known to any who might be near. I urge you to get cracking, and find that distributor. Accept no substitutes, listen to no excuses, and above all, do not corrupt the design so carefully worked out by the technicians and research personnel at the TeamRush Ignition Laboratories.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

CJDave
Quadra-Tracs modified While-U-Wait by the crack moonguy[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Quadra-Trac Team.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-12-2001, 12:56 PM
FlMudCJ

Sorry that I was of the board for the weekend, but my Grandmother passed away wednesday and I attended the memorial yesterday.

In relevance tho, I too have a '77 CJ-5 w/ 304, and I have performed the TR upgrade succesfully.

What you need to do is go to the local parts store and as for a distributor from a 78-80 cj (pick one, any one) and also get the module and coil. They'll want a core on the old distributor, bring it back later so they can't compare them. They will take your prestolite as a core return on the duraspark. Then get the connectors from ANY late 70's early 80's ford, mercury JEEP junkyard heep. Then wire the harness as Teamrush himself laid out in his 'test' harness. The trick to remember here is that the red (+) wire to the coil NEEDS a resistor. I used a wells F795 and its doing fine. You could use the resistor wire (uncut) that the 78-86 Cj's used, but the resistor goes in alittle easier. Other than that, the upgrade is as advertised. If I left something out, or you have more questions, e-mail or post them, I'll be 'round.

'77 CJ-5: 304/T-150/D-20 F-D44 R-9" Power 4 wheel disk, 36X12.5 swampers
bigmudtire
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-12-2001, 11:52 PM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] Begging your pardon FL-the-Mud CJ.....but isn't the process that you have so elequently described designed to reach the level of electronic Jeep ignition and no farther? If I could be so impertinent as to suggest it, should not Farms-with-Jeep be buying a TFI coil and all of the designated Ford trimmings as suggested by TR in his many writeups; and thereby reaping the benefits of the TFI, and the HEI along with basic electronic ignition?[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/blush.gif[/img]

CJDave
Quadra-Tracs modified While-U-Wait by the crack moonguy[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Quadra-Trac Team.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-13-2001, 08:03 AM
FlMudCJ

Oh mighty and powerfull CJ-of Dave, The prestolite ignition IS an electronic ignition. Sad as it is, it is an inductive module based ignition. The question Farm with the Jeep had, to my best reading was how to get a setup that then the Team that Rush's bargin basement holeshot upgrade can be then applied to. I believe I refrenced that after the distributer was obtained, then the existing topic that has been beaten to death was then and forever accurate and complete.

Its fun talking like this. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

'77 CJ-5: 304/T-150/D-20 F-D44 R-9" Power 4 wheel disk, 36X12.5 swampers
bigmudtire
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-13-2001, 09:28 AM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Ah......CJDave sees the clarity of the issue now as he finds out that Prestocrap is in fact a rudimentary form of electronic ignition. CJD was thinking that Presto was pointsville. CJD is thanking Fl-the-Mud for that bright bulb which serves to dispell the darkness of ignorance that seems to occasionally pervade the offices, shops, and laboratories of Moonguy Central.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/blush.gif[/img]

CJDave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode